Hi ! New Guitar, Few Questions [Invader Plus setup]

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:50 am

Hello Everybody !!!

Last week I bought my first G&L, a brand new Invader Plus.
I must say it is amazing instrument, it puts a silly smile on my face each time I pick it up.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any information about it's factroy setup or about how to set it up properly.

I have read the user manual in G&L's official website but I don't know if it is relevant to my guitar. I have searched in the
forum and sent an e-mail to G&L, still nothing.

I couldn't find wiring schemes either. I have no idea why the guitar came without any instructions.

This is my first Floyd Rose, the low E is buzzing a little, the intonation is not perfect and I want to set it up.
Just need a little guidance that all :oops: .

Maybe some folks here can help, thanks
Roman.

Re: Hi ! New Guitar, Few Questions.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:40 pm

Welcome Roman.

The Floyd Rose is a complete mongrel of a thing, changing strings and any adjustments throw the setup out. They're pretty difficult to get right, especially if you haven't done it before. The intonation is particularly frustrating. There are a number of good videos on YOUTUBE on setting up a FR. I'd suggest starting there. Best of luck with it!

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:14 am

i would highly suggest to take it to a good tech and watch him setting it up. i don't think you'd want to be learning with your new guitar. the dfs trem is much superior to the floyd btw.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:41 am

That is a BEAUTIFUL Invader! Congrats!

I'm kinda like Louis, I really like the G&L Dual Fulcrum Vibrato, but it is not designed to do the heavy bending that the Floyd can do. I think of the DFV as a more refined version of Leo's original "Synchronized Tremelo". And in that regard, it is the best.

For an old guy like me, I like simple things--and since I don't use my vibrato like Eddie Van Halen, I don't use a Floyd. The Floyd is a lot more complicated than the DFV. They are the best at what they do, but they do need to be properly maintained.

I know there are several videos on YouTube that can help you out, and you should be able to get some info off the Floyd Rose site. Some of the other builders' sites, like Jackson, Charvel, Kramer and Ibanez that use the FRV might have helpful information. I don't think G&L sells a ton of FRV Invaders, so I'm not surprised that they don't have more information on their web-site.

By all means, develop a good relationship with your guitar tech. I would keep a supply of extra parts (like the screws for the locking nut) and multiple wrench sets in your gig kit. Drop one a dark stage--and you'll thank me later for having a spare!

And one book you might find helpful is Dan Erlewine's "How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great". Dan is a long-time "luthier to the stars", and his book is excellent.

BTW, I've been playing G&Ls since about 1994, and I currently have 19 of them. And every darn one of them puts a big smile on my face, every time!

Enjoy that beautiful redburst Invader. Play the heck out of it and make some fun noise with that Floyd!

Best Wishes!

Bill

Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:53 am

Thanks everybody.

Boogie Bill, the guitar came with all the wrenches I need and I have Dan Elrewine's DVD.

I also know very good and reliable technician, but the basics (changing strings, intonation), I prefer to do it myself.
I believe that every guitar player should know how to take care of his own instrument.

I didn't plan to buy this guitar, but somebody who ordered it got cold feet and I got it in great price.
I also played on the legacy HB and the fender strat deluxe, but the invader felt much better.
It is wonderful all-around, the bridge is a little "pain in the ass" but nevermind.

I just wonder how it came out of the factory, string height, action etc., it is important reference for me.

Is there a way to contact with G&L?
I tried crobosan@glguitars.com, but no reply.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:21 pm

rk12 wrote:Thanks everybody.

Boogie Bill, the guitar came with all the wrenches I need and I have Dan Elrewine's DVD.

I also know very good and reliable technician, but the basics (changing strings, intonation), I prefer to do it myself.
I believe that every guitar player should know how to take care of his own instrument.

I didn't plan to buy this guitar, but somebody who ordered it got cold feet and I got it in great price.
I also played on the legacy HB and the fender strat deluxe, but the invader felt much better.
It is wonderful all-around, the bridge is a little "pain in the ass" but nevermind.

I just wonder how it came out of the factory, string height, action etc., it is important reference for me.

Is there a way to contact with G&L?
I tried crobosan@glguitars.com, but no reply.

Very nice looking Invader! :thumbup:

The factory will be closed from December 23rd to January 2nd. The last couple of weeks in December
are a very busy time at the factory, so best to wait on contacting Customer Support until they return
from the holiday break.

I will followup with Chris and get some detail on the Invader setup when he returns. I will post this info
in the G&L Knowledgebase, G&L Tech Tips sub-forum, with a followup note here.

Here is the link to the Floyd Rose Techincal Information page.

Also, please do add your Invader to our G&L Registry.

Hope this helps.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:21 am

Thank you Craig, added to the registry.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:33 pm

Nice Pickup configuration on that thing, by the way..I have never been a fan of FR, or any trem for that matter, but I agree it's probably best to take it to a good tech for a setup..Welcome aboard!!

Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:42 pm

smurph1 wrote:Nice Pickup configuration on that thing, by the way..I have never been a fan of FR, or any trem for that matter, but I agree it's probably best to take it to a good tech for a setup..Welcome aboard!!

BTW, you can split the bridge and nech humbuckers, nice option.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:29 am

Update,

I have sent G&L another mail about my Invader's factory setup [Relief, Nut action, Action, Pickup height and Bridge height], the result is the same.
I don't know why they posted support email address if they don't reply to mails. :thumbdown:

I also asked my dealer, as I expected he doesn't know.

Craig, maybe you have heard something???

I am starting to accept the fact that this is one piece of information I'll never know.

Haven't the floating trem's owners suffered enough? ;)

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:32 pm

Did you try this manual?

It's outdated, but most measurements may still be accurate and a Floyd isn't that much another animal, at least to me. ;)
It's just a basic setup and when finished, you may have to adjust it for your own taste and habit.

My first good electric was an Ibanez RG470 and I was new to a vibrato unit at all, but never had a problem. ;)

The problem with e-mail addresses posted in the net is, they will get immediately thousands of spam mails per day, so they are probably not read anymore, or the spam filters do filter fine and your mail too, especially when it's written from a free mail account and formatted in HTML.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:49 pm

I have read the manual, and I did a setup that I pretty happy with.

It's just simple curiosity, I am some kind of annoying person who wants the know every little detail about my things (guitars, cars...),

and I wanted to compare my current setup to the "stock".

It's not indispensable information, but still nice to know it :).

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Final Update :wave: ,

Today I got reply from Chris. If you want to contact G&L support don't use Gmail !!!

Chris said that "the setup specs are still relevant from the old manual & are a good starting point,
but can be fine tuned to each players liking."

So good luck with your setups, and thanks everybody, you have great community here. :clap: .