Kahler tremolo issues

Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:58 am

Hi everyone, new user here. I wondered if anyone can help me. My Cantrell Rampage keeps going out of tune with note bends on the g string! When I originally bought it, the dealer told me that the string was still stretching out. I half believed him, but I loved the guitar so much that I took a chance. It's been non- stop disappointment ever since. I contacted Kahler about it, and they wrote it off as a set up issue! Translated, once you buy it, you are on your own. I guess that is why 90 percent of the guitars out there have floyd rose bridges on them! Any input would be appreciated, I love the guitar, but I'm VERY disappointed with Kahler. Do you think G&L would take ownership of this since Kahler won't?

Re: Kahler tremolo issues

Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:05 pm

it can easily be a set up issue. i love kahler tremolos. much better than floyd rose. btw, not explaining how it goes out of tune will not help to diagnose the issue. have you taken it to a reputable tech? setting up a guitar to your specs is necessary, the factory does not do that, since they don't know what you like.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:24 pm

Louis, thanks for the info, you sound like you've been around the kahler products enough to know something about them. I would love my Kahler too if it would stop going out on me with note bending. If you say it is a setup problem, then I'll take it somewhere and have it looked at. I may skip the place that I bought it though, since they saw the problem happening when I bought it and chose to send it out the door that way. I'll give the tech as much info as I can also so that they can best diagnose the problem. Thanks for responding!

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:46 pm

dave ms wrote:Hi everyone, new user here. I wondered if anyone can help me. My Cantrell Rampage keeps going out of tune with note bends on the g string! When I originally bought it, the dealer told me that the string was still stretching out. I half believed him, but I loved the guitar so much that I took a chance. It's been non- stop disappointment ever since. I contacted Kahler about it, and they wrote it off as a set up issue! Translated, once you buy it, you are on your own. I guess that is why 90 percent of the guitars out there have floyd rose bridges on them! Any input would be appreciated, I love the guitar, but I'm VERY disappointed with Kahler. Do you think G&L would take ownership of this since Kahler won't?

Check this post in the G&L Knowledgebase: G&L Rampage Jerry Cantrell Signature. There are some setup tips from G&L Customer Service.
If these setup tips don't help, contact the G&L dealer and ask them to help you get it resolved under the G&L warranty.
See the Support page on G&L's main website.

Also note that the factory will be closed from December 23rd to January 2nd. This week is a very busy time at the factory,
so best to wait on contacting Customer Support (if needed) until they return from the holiday break.

Hope this helps.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:10 am

I agree with Louis, it's a setup issue. I have 4 guitars equipped with Kahler's and I love them. I'm curious, do you have the Tribute Rampage or the USA model? I've read some complaints online about the import Kahler's having tuning issues. I have a Tribute Rampage and initially I had tuning issues. After I did a setup, and the more I used the Kahler the problem went away.

Good luck and enjoy that Rampage! They're a great guitar!
Dave

Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:31 am

dave ms wrote:Louis, thanks for the info, you sound like you've been around the kahler products enough to know something about them. I would love my Kahler too if it would stop going out on me with note bending. If you say it is a setup problem, then I'll take it somewhere and have it looked at. I may skip the place that I bought it though, since they saw the problem happening when I bought it and chose to send it out the door that way. I'll give the tech as much info as I can also so that they can best diagnose the problem. Thanks for responding!

could you describe what is happening? is it going out of tune during the bend, after the bend? sharp, flat?

Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:19 pm

Thanks for the support page info Craig. It's worth a shot!

Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:25 pm

Rampagefan, thanks for the input, I'm a Rampage fan too. If I can resolve my setup issue, Ill be so happy. I can't find another guitar that plays like this one. I love the thing!

Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Louis, the guitar (g string) goes out of tune during the note bend, leaving the string flat. It seems to be every time unfortunately, not an occasional issue.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:38 pm

Rampagefan, I forgot to mention that my guitar is also a tribute model. I'd love to have a USA model, but they are substancially more money. I'm actually quite impressed with the quality of the tribute model, nothing is cheap or shabby about it! When I get this issue resolved, I'll be completely satisfied with it!

Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:02 pm

dave ms wrote:Rampagefan, I forgot to mention that my guitar is also a tribute model. I'd love to have a USA model, but they are substancially more money. I'm actually quite impressed with the quality of the tribute model, nothing is cheap or shabby about it! When I get this issue resolved, I'll be completely satisfied with it!

As a tremolo acts the same on all strings, it's normally not a trem issue if just a single string goes out of tune. Except there's a problem at the string saddle, which I would not expect with a new guitar. The most common problem and especially for the g-string is the slot at the nut. It's probably to narrow for the string to let it freely slip through, which happens when a string is bended or the vibrato arm is used. The problem can be solved with a proper set of nut files (which each guitar tech has) and perhaps additional lubrication with graphite (pencil) or fretboard oil.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:10 pm

dave ms wrote:Rampagefan, I forgot to mention that my guitar is also a tribute model. I'd love to have a USA model, but they are substancially more money. I'm actually quite impressed with the quality of the tribute model, nothing is cheap or shabby about it! When I get this issue resolved, I'll be completely satisfied with it!

I agree, the Tribute Rampage is a well built guitar! I have 2 original Rampage's from the 80's, and I enjoy playing the Tribute as well. I'm sure you will get this issue resolved soon!

Dave

Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:27 pm

dave ms wrote:Louis, the guitar (g string) goes out of tune during the note bend, leaving the string flat. It seems to be every time unfortunately, not an occasional issue.

do you have the locking nut? did you change string gauge? when the string goes flat, do you tune it to pitch, bend and it goes flat again? that would be a problem with the string. or do you tune to pitch, press the trem arm and now it goes sharp? that would be a nut or saddle issue. as little info you provided in the description of the problem, i am not surprised kahler wrote it off. a tech could not help much like that either. when asking for help, try to give a detailed description, as everything helps to identify what the trouble may be. very hard to help otherwise.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:48 pm

Ups, locking nut, oversawn?!
With a locking nut, it's clearly not what I've meant, but probably the locking doesn't work.

If it has a locking nut, the words of the dealer, about the string stretching, are complete nonsense. If a string is really fixed between bridge and nut, there's nothing to stretch.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:56 am

Miles Smiles wrote:Ups, locking nut, oversawn?!
With a locking nut, it's clearly not what I've meant, but probably the locking doesn't work.

If it has a locking nut, the words of the dealer, about the string stretching, are complete nonsense. If a string is really fixed between bridge and nut, there's nothing to stretch.

the string can certainly stretch even with a locking nut. the steel itself gives some under tension. also the ball end of the string is still there on the bridge end. so just maybe it's not the dealer talking complete nonsense :evilgrin:

Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:27 am

louis cyfer wrote:the string can certainly stretch even with a locking nut. the steel itself gives some under tension. also the ball end of the string is still there on the bridge end. so just maybe it's not the dealer talking complete nonsense :evilgrin:

OK, I don't know the Kahler. On my FR-Type, I have to cut of the ball ends, so there's nothing left to stretch. Steel strings itself do not stretch permanently or just some milliseconds before they break, but that may be just my personal experience. ;)

Anyway, that's not the point, as there's always stretch work to do after installing a string, regardless if new or old. At least a dealer should know that strings have to be stretched manually and if a strings tends to go flat, you pull on it as long as it doesn't remain stable in tune, that's the whole trick.

With the search therms "guitar string stretching" you may find a lot of demonstration on youtube.

Peace! :)

Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:54 am

Louis, I certainly understand your viewpoint on giving adequate information. I wish the guy at Kahler had followed up with all of the questions that you had when I came up short on details. I may have felt more like he actually wanted to help. Again, I appreciate your help.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:28 pm

dave ms wrote:Louis, I certainly understand your viewpoint on giving adequate information. I wish the guy at Kahler had followed up with all of the questions that you had when I came up short on details. I may have felt more like he actually wanted to help. Again, I appreciate your help.

yeah, kahler could have asked some questions for sure. you haven't answered the last questions i asked, and knowing the answer would help to identify where the problem may be.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:56 am

Louis, a note bend on the g string makes the string go flat. After retuning the string and using the bar, the string goes sharp again. The tribute Rampage's Have a Floyd Rose locking nut via Jerry Cantrell who changed them from the Kahler locking nut, claiming that the original was problematic. As for the string guage, I generally use lights, which it seemed to have when I bought it. Sorry I wasn't better with my last info, what would you say it is given these facts? Are there any things that I can do to fix it, or is this a job for someone that knows what they are doing?

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:16 pm

I have been sitting by on this as I know nothing about setting up a Kahler, but this seems like it could be the string binding in the nut and releasing after a re-tune and use of the trem.-- Darwin

Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:58 pm

dave ms wrote:Louis, a note bend on the g string makes the string go flat. After retuning the string and using the bar, the string goes sharp again. The tribute Rampage's Have a Floyd Rose locking nut via Jerry Cantrell who changed them from the Kahler locking nut, claiming that the original was problematic. As for the string guage, I generally use lights, which it seemed to have when I bought it. Sorry I wasn't better with my last info, what would you say it is given these facts? Are there any things that I can do to fix it, or is this a job for someone that knows what they are doing?

ok, based on that it can only be 2 things. the locking nut is not tight enough and the g string is slipping in there, not entirely uncommon, the d string is much larger and if not tightened enough, the g string will slip. turning the locking piece 180 degress sometimes helps. if the nut is locking properly, than the g string roller saddle needs lubrication. check the nut first, that is more common.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:47 am

Louis, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!! I spun the locking nut around, and it solved the problem. I never considered the fact that there is such a difference in the string thickness on the G and the D strings! I was always careful not to really tork down on the locking nut also, as not to strip the screw. Well, that makes the Rampage perfect, I'm on cloud nine! Louis, are you a guitar tech, you sure know your stuff? If you are not, you should be!
I can't thank you enough for your help!