Dual Fulcrum Vibrato will not return to pitch.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:42 am

I own several USA G&L Legacy's and the Dual Fulcrum Vibrato is giving me problems. Some guitars are better than others but all have the problem of not returning exactly to pitch. When I slightly push down the pitch is flat and when I pull up the pitch stays sharp. I know this is not a nut issue and I set up my guitars with the bridge plate flat and about 3/16 off the body. I am not having these problems with the five non G&L guitars I own.
Somebody please fill me in on what I can do to fix this problem. I have used two and three springs even lighter gauge springs and still no precise return to pitch.
-kungfumailman

Re: Dual Fulcrum Vibrato will not return to pitch.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:02 am

kungfumailman wrote:I own several USA G&L Legacy's and the Dual Fulcrum Vibrato is giving me problems. Some guitars are better than others but all have the problem of not returning exactly to pitch. When I slightly push down the pitch is flat and when I pull up the pitch stays sharp. I know this is not a nut issue and I set up my guitars with the bridge plate flat and about 3/16 off the body. I am not having these problems with the five non G&L guitars I own.
Somebody please fill me in on what I can do to fix this problem. I have used two and three springs even lighter gauge springs and still no precise return to pitch.
-kungfumailman

Make sure that you follow the G&L setup procedures completely.

For G&L guitars made prior to 2009: Use instructions in the original Owner's Manual.

For G&L guitars made in 2009 and later: See Current Factory setups for DF vibrato G&L guitars.

Hope this helps.

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:36 am

I have followed the G&L set up guidelines but for some reason the vibrato is not working as it's supposed to.
Could the posts be moving or the metal worn out on bridge plate?

Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:23 am

kungfumailman wrote:I have followed the G&L set up guidelines but for some reason the vibrato is not working as it's supposed to.
Could the posts be moving or the metal worn out on bridge plate?

Yes, that could be what's happening. Check this post: What can I do when my Legacy Trem Won't Stay in Tune?

Hope this helps.