Tech Tip-Truss Rod Nut Adjusting Tool

Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:49 pm

The new truss rod hex wrenches are 4mm. I find it is easy to leave marks on the headstock if not careful when adjusting the nut. I picked up a spare 4mm hex wrench at the local hardware store and shortened it as shown in the following picture.

The original wrench is on the top and I shortened the lower one to 1/2 inch. This will prevent marks on the headstock and I find it easier to use. After cutting the wrench with a hack saw, I filed the edges carefully so it is inserted into the nut more easily. When adjusting I apply a finger to the top of the wrench to make sure it is well seated while making the adjustment.-- Darwin

Re: Tech Tip-Truss Rod Nut Adjusting Tool

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:25 pm

I am most impressed with the label! Nothing like a drawer full of mixed SAE/metric hex wrenches to speed up a project!

Good idea, I have dinged my fancy matching headstock!

Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:59 am

From which year on are the Tussrod nuts 4 mm?

Thanks

Roland

Darwin.your Tele Avatar looks great ,though the older family one was more impressive

Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:29 am

It's funny you shortened it Darwin, because for me they can't be long enough.
I use these kind of ball driver hex wrenches with T-handle:

With these I'm working above the headstock, the strings don't get in the way, and I can be very precise with adjusting and not damage anything.
The size is already written on the handle! ;)

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:08 am

Ivo, I have used ball T handles and they work great if the nut turns easily. This type of wrench comes with the American Deluxe Jazz Bass (Fender). If you have a nut that turns with a fair amount of resistance these will strip the Truss Rod Nut head. I have a set of them and do not use them. I get a better fell with a regular hex wrench.-- Darwin