Crackling noise on the Neck pickup of my Asat Special

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:56 pm

I have a realy annoying problem with my new 30th anniversary Asat Special. When I play on the neck ore midle position i have a crackling noise, its not hum, it realy crackles when i touch the strings with the pick. i never had that before with any guitar i've played.
Im realy disapointed with my G&L.
I hope that someone can help me with this issue?? Otherwise i got to trade that Guitar even i loved the Sound, but.... im pissed off right know... :confused0077:

thx!

Re: Crackling noise on the Neck pickup of my Asat Special

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:06 pm

It sounds like you may have a dirty or bad pickup selector switch?

Do you get any noise when you touch the pickguard?

There are a lot of folks here that are pretty well-versed in guitar problems. I'm sure you will get other replys with more suggestions - hang in there!! ;)

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:26 pm

My guess would be static electricity. i had a post on this recently as I noticed it on a couple of my G&Ls when the humidity was real low. (30%). The solution seems to be shielding the back of the pickguard. Wipe the pickguard with a damp cloth and moisten your hands with water, slightly drying them and try the guitar and see if it goes away. I first noticed after waxing the pickguard. I f you canidentify the problem, the solution is easy.-- Darwin

Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:40 pm

chili5000 wrote:I have a realy annoying problem with my new 30th anniversary Asat Special. When I play on the neck ore midle position i have a crackling noise, its not hum, it realy crackles when i touch the strings with the pick. i never had that before with any guitar i've played.
Im realy disapointed with my G&L.
I hope that someone can help me with this issue?? Otherwise i got to trade that Guitar even i loved the Sound, but.... im pissed off right know... :confused0077:

thx!

It does sound like a static electricity issue, like Darwin says. Where are you located? Check out this post: Pickguard Static Noise. If the dryer sheet trick does
not fix it, then return it to the G&L Dealer and have them look into it via the G&L Warranty.

Hope this helps.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:04 pm

Thank you guys for your suport. I've shielded the pickguard tonight and everything works well know.
I couldnt believe that it was only the static isue...

Thanks again for your help!

Greetings to everyone from Switzerland!

:)