What's the logic behind the Leo era copper tremolo spring?

Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:08 pm

I just noticed the presence of a copper middle tremolo spring in my 1991 S-500, and I was wondering what was the design intention for it? (I assume there was a logic to it?)

I found a reference to it on the ggjaguar site, (Last line in the page description at >> http://www.ggjaguar.com/92legacybld.htm ), but I’m stumped as to the intention of this old “desirable feature”?

Anyone know the reason for this?
:confused0007:

Re: What's the logic behind the Leo era copper tremolo sprin

Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:31 am

offplanetfilms wrote:I just noticed the presence of a copper middle tremolo spring in my 1991 S-500, and I was wondering what was the design intention for it? (I assume there was a logic to it?)

I found a reference to it on the ggjaguar site, (Last line in the page description at >> http://www.ggjaguar.com/92legacybld.htm ), but I’m stumped as to the intention of this old “desirable feature”?

The older DF trems had a copper colored center spring and the total tension exerted by the
three was supposed to be optimal for the vibrato. The copper plated spring is of a lesser tension
than the outer two springs.

Hope this helps.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:19 am

Craig wrote:
offplanetfilms wrote:I just noticed the presence of a copper middle tremolo spring in my 1991 S-500, and I was wondering what was the design intention for it? (I assume there was a logic to it?)

The older DF trems had a copper colored center spring and the total tension exerted by the
three was supposed to be optimal for the vibrato. The copper plated spring is of a lesser tension
than the outer two springs.

Hope this helps.

why did they stop?

Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:39 am

Very interesting! ...Thanks Craig!

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:27 pm

Here is how it looks like:

Already thought about to replace it, but wasn't sure if it has any sense. It has really less tension can be easily put in and out with bare fingers, with strings attached and tuned. But if removed the vibrato is out of balance though.

As I now know this is original, it will stay in place for sure. ;)

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:54 pm

Good illustration Miles. If it were my guitar in the picture, I would adjust the trem claw even on each side but I am not sure that it makes much difference. I do not have any with a copper spring. I also have some three spring in which I have removed the 3 rd spring and readjusted the trem to have a softer feel in the trem.-- Darwin

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:34 am

Any idea whether a third-style (pickguarded) SC3 should have a copper spring? Neckplate date is 1987 ...

Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:01 am

Danley wrote:Any idea whether a third-style (pickguarded) SC3 should have a copper spring? Neckplate date is 1987 ...

Hey Danley,

My 1988 3rd style SC-3 has the traditional set of springs:

- Jos

Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:13 am

Thanks for that pic- weird, mine must be replaced with another steel spring (no other mods to the guitar.)