Will Ray model nut slot: flat-bottomed or curved?

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:32 am

I'd be really grateful if someone could tell me whether the base of the nut slot of the Will Ray is flat or radiussed. I believe the neck is basically a Comanche type.
I'm wanting to make new nut for this guitar, as I like to graduate the string-spacing a little different.
But if I loosen out the original nut, and find the slot's radiussed, I'll in for some extra hours of fine-tweaking compared to just making a flat one, and I really could do with knowing in advance since once the nut's out, there's all the slot-cleaning etc to do before even the original can go back in. If it's going to be lots of down-time, I'll have to find it a diary date for the job!!

Many thanks,
Nick

Re: Will Ray model nut slot: flat-bottomed or curved?

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:05 am

NickHorne wrote:I'd be really grateful if someone could tell me whether the base of the nut slot of the Will Ray is flat or radiussed. I believe the neck is basically a Comanche type.
I'm wanting to make new nut for this guitar, as I like to graduate the string-spacing a little different.
But if I loosen out the original nut, and find the slot's radiussed, I'll in for some extra hours of fine-tweaking compared to just making a flat one, and I really could do with knowing in advance since once the nut's out, there's all the slot-cleaning etc to do before even the original can go back in. If it's going to be lots of down-time, I'll have to find it a diary date for the job!!

Many thanks,
Nick

Hi Nick,

I will find out and post back.

Stay tuned.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:57 am

Thank you, Craig!

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:03 am

I just heard back:

The nut slot is radiused.
The nut slot radius will match the fretboard radius.

I know this is not what you were hoping for, but now you know.

Hope this helps.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:11 am

Hi Craig

Thank you very much for this.
Workshop time! I can get a head start with preparing a 12" radius to sand on and shape the back of a blank; this will get the job done with much less delay once I have the original off and committed to getting done.
Never thought I would be getting under way so quickly - can't thank you enough!

Best,
Nick