G&L jacks and plugs

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:30 am

I mentioned on another thread that I had one particular cable that would not fit the jack on my new ASAT.
Here are a couple of pics of three different cables I have. The example on the extreme left is the offending plug that will not fit the jack. It stops halfway in and I will not try to force it beyond that point. Does anyone see what the problem is? I don't see anythng significantly different amongst the 3 examples. I don't have any tools with enough precision to make any meaningful measurements. This is not a major problem for me as it is only one small cable that does not work, but my curiousity is piqued.

Hey........It wasn't until I previewed this post prior to submitting it that I saw the issue.......the cable that wont fit is flattened at the tip as opposed to coming to a point. I will definitely keep this in mind when looking at cables in the future. I've had that cable for probably close to 30 years....it was a mid priced cable and I have only used it at home, leaving my better quality cables for use when I play out, but it's never been an issue before.

Re: G&L jacks and plugs

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:16 am

I found this picture online of a jack and a socket:

I just don't see how whether the tip of the plug is pointy has anything to do with how it works. My suspicions is that it come down to the diameter of the plug, but I could be wrong.

Kit

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:12 am

Hmmmm......
So you think the diameter of the plug may be a bit larger. I suspected that because it looked like that may be the case, but I couldn't be certain and have no way of actually measuring it.
Although when I try to insert the plug it only goes in about 5/8" before it stops dead. This seems to indicate that for some reason it is unable to push past the spring clip on the jack.

Is that a photo of a current G&L plug?

As I said, the plug has no trouble fitting into the SC-1 or my amplifier, (but I'm unsure if it is the original jack in the SC-1) .

Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:02 pm

If you haven't already, you may want to try putting a drop of oil on the flatish tip of the cable in question.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:07 am

If you haven't already, you may want to try putting a drop of oil on the flatish tip of the cable in question.

No I haven't tried using any lubricrant. I think I'll leave well enough alone. There is no problem with any of my other cables.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:09 pm

A couple questions, if I may:

1. What brand is the plug/cable that will not insert?

2. What type of jack do you have in your ASAT? A regular Strat-style jack such as pictured above or the deep panel (barrel) jack?

Ken...
Last edited by Ken Baker on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:42 pm

1. What brand is the plug/cable that will not insert?

It is branded "Adam Professional Cables".
I've had it for over 20 years--don't remember what I paid for it but I usually go for the medium priced cables, never the rock bottom cheapest. I don't fall for the hype of the super high priced cables--my ears don't hear a difference. I've read a lot of negative reviews of high priced Monster cables even. The best cables I own are Pro Co brand and they seem to be good quality.

2. What type of jack do you have in your ASAT? A regular Start-style jack such as pictured above or the deep panel (barrel) jack?

Whatever jack comes standard with an ASAT Classic.

Since my last post things have changed.
I went to a jam the other day and the cord provided was one of those tweed fabric covered cables--I believe it was a Fender brand. At first try I didn't think I could insert it either as it stopped at the same point as my cable, but with a bit more pressure, it did go in.

This must have stretched the clip a bit because I just now tried the cable in question at home and it does now go in, although it is a tighter fit than any of my other cables. I initially did not want to force it for fear of damaging the jack, but everything appears to be OK now.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:09 pm

suave eddie wrote:It is branded "Adam Professional Cables".
I've had it for over 20 years--don't remember what I paid for it but I usually go for the medium priced cables, never the rock bottom cheapest. I don't fall for the hype of the super high priced cables--my ears don't hear a difference. I've read a lot of negative reviews of high priced Monster cables even. The best cables I own are Pro Co brand and they seem to be good quality.

Okay. I was wondering if it was a Monster brand cable. These have a reputation for having plugs that are just a tiny bit oversized, which makes for a nice snug fit and accelerated wear.

Whatever jack comes standard with an ASAT Classic.

That would be the deep panel jack.

Since my last post things have changed.
I went to a jam the other day and the cord provided was one of those tweed fabric covered cables--I believe it was a Fender brand. At first try I didn't think I could insert it either as it stopped at the same point as my cable, but with a bit more pressure, it did go in.

This must have stretched the clip a bit because I just now tried the cable in question at home and it does now go in, although it is a tighter fit than any of my other cables. I initially did not want to force it for fear of damaging the jack, but everything appears to be OK now.

You might keep a spare jack on hand in case the one you have now fails. I gotta feeling about this one. And if you want to DIY...

Ken...

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:23 pm

I've read several posts here about these jacks needing replacement often and I was a bit worried. Does G&L use an inferior quality jack? If so, why?

When I had my SC-2 modified back in the '80s I had my tech relocate the jack from the front of the body to the edge just like the ASAT. It must be a very similar installation since there is no jack plate or cup either. I'm not sure if he used the original jack or replaced it--probably had to replace it since it had to be deeper than the original.
After approx 25 years, I've never had a problem with it, but many here tell me to expect to have to replace the one in my new ASAT before too long. In the mean time, I don't expect to use the cords that I know are a tight fit.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:34 pm

suave eddie wrote:I've read several posts here about these jacks needing replacement often and I was a bit worried. Does G&L use an inferior quality jack? If so, why?

Nope. They use jacks that are as good as any available. The potential problem is the design of the jack itself. Over time they just wear out. Wear can be exacerbated by some plugs and/or the way the player uses them. There is really not a lot of anything that is definite other than the fact the they just won't last as long as an open frame jack such as those found in the Legacy, Strat, or other guitars/basses with cups or plates.

When I had my SC-2 modified back in the '80s I had my tech relocate the jack from the front of the body to the edge just like the ASAT. It must be a very similar installation since there is no jack plate or cup either. I'm not sure if he used the original jack or replaced it--probably had to replace it since it had to be deeper than the original.
After approx 25 years, I've never had a problem with it, but many here tell me to expect to have to replace the one in my new ASAT before too long. In the mean time, I don't expect to use the cords that I know are a tight fit.

If the jack has a cup or football (mounting) plate, you have a regular jack like a Legacy.

Ken...
Last edited by Ken Baker on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:15 pm

If the jack has a cup or football (mounting) plate, you have a regular jack like a Legacy.

Ken...

The relocated jack on the SC-2 has no cup or plate--the mounting is identical to the ASAT and it has lasted a long time. Maybe I am more careful with my instruments than some people. I always loop the cable through the strap for strain relief in case it ever gets yanked.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:02 pm

suave eddie wrote:The relocated jack on the SC-2 has no cup or plate--the mounting is identical to the ASAT and it has lasted a long time. Maybe I am more careful with my instruments than some people. I always loop the cable through the strap for strain relief in case it ever gets yanked.

Well, there you go. Good cables and good handling make 'em last.

I have to go now. Ms. Zolpidem is calling.

Ken...