poor sound from neck pick up on F100

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:49 am

I have just bought a F-100 series 2 1980 model serial 10038 no pre amp. The sound from the neck p/u is muffled when switched to single coil. I understand that bass tones are added when the splitter switches to single coils (you can hear this difference on the bridge p/u well) but sound quality is noticeably duller for neck p/u. There is another issue which might be related, the phase out switch only seems to work when both p/u's are selected. I thought the phase out switch was supposed to automatically kick in both p/u's regardless what position the selector switch is in.

The treble pot is stops working when the bridge p/u is selected but I believe that is a pert of the set up.

Appreciate any advise before I start poking around the wiring. Is there a wiring diagram showing set up which includes loss of treble function when bridge pick up selected?

Re: poor sound from neck pick up on F100

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:46 pm

Graeme wrote:I have just bought a F-100 series 2 1980 model serial 10038 no pre amp. The sound from the neck p/u is muffled when switched to single coil. I understand that bass tones are added when the splitter switches to single coils (you can hear this difference on the bridge p/u well) but sound quality is noticeably duller for neck p/u. There is another issue which might be related, the phase out switch only seems to work when both p/u's are selected. I thought the phase out switch was supposed to automatically kick in both p/u's regardless what position the selector switch is in.

The treble pot is stops working when the bridge p/u is selected but I believe that is a pert of the set up.

Appreciate any advise before I start poking around the wiring. Is there a wiring diagram showing set up which includes loss of treble function when bridge pick up selected?

See these links in the Gallery:

Album: F-100 and F-100E Instructions
Album: F-100 Wiring Schematics and Picture Diagrams

Hope this helps.

Re: poor sound from neck pick up on F100

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:19 am

Craig
Thanks for the diagrams. I have now carefully took off the plate but nothing obviously wrong so applied some contact spray and scratched at the soldered connections to check for any bridging on loose. Nothing doing so plugged the guitar back in for one last go and what do you know the neck p/u now sounds fine. The out of phase switch still only works when selector switch set in the middle( not what brochure claims) but does not really matter. I now have two brilliant G&L guitars;the other is a 1988 sickle head nighthawk . They are completely different but the build quality on the F100 is something else. I am waiting for a music man sabre 2 to be shipped across which I think was to all intents the last production guitar Leo Fender et al worked on prior to the F100. It will be interesting to compare. Anyway thanks again.