Dual Fulcrum Lock Down

Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:57 am

Hi Folks, :)

I have my new Legacy USA now, which I love. First G&L guitar ever! :alright:

It has the Dual Fulcrum vibrato, which I don't use. I'm not a tremolo user full stop, never have been.

I tightened the screws in the back cavity already, to get the bridge back against the body. This has been the solution in my experience before, but this is my first 2 point tremolo ever, and I can see that the 2 point screws are keeping the bridge suspended up, so that with the arm in, it can still rock forwards. (i.e. can still be used towards the neck, to drop pitch) :problem:

I'm asking about getting the bridge essentially fixed flat against the body. Should I use my G&L wrench to tighten those point screws? I can see how the bridge will sit flush if I do that, I'll just need to raise the string height afterwards.
I've been also told about putting a piece of wood behind the block, like in the Clapton Strat, but that's not what I mean here, I want to essentially lock the bridge flat to the body if I can. :think:

Please advise me, as I'm wary to taking any tools to a guitar without asking for assistance! 8-)

Re: Dual Fulcrum Lock Down

Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:30 pm

If I were to do it, I would cut wood/shims and block it in the cavity opposed to tightening it down. You do not want to bring the posts down, you might end up lowering the beidge too far and getting fret buzz from hell.

Re: Dual Fulcrum Lock Down

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:17 pm

gavquinn wrote:Hi Folks, :)

I have my new Legacy USA now, which I love. First G&L guitar ever! :alright:

It has the Dual Fulcrum vibrato, which I don't use. I'm not a tremolo user full stop, never have been.

I tightened the screws in the back cavity already, to get the bridge back against the body. This has been the solution in my experience before, but this is my first 2 point tremolo ever, and I can see that the 2 point screws are keeping the bridge suspended up, so that with the arm in, it can still rock forwards. (i.e. can still be used towards the neck, to drop pitch) :problem:

I'm asking about getting the bridge essentially fixed flat against the body. Should I use my G&L wrench to tighten those point screws? I can see how the bridge will sit flush if I do that, I'll just need to raise the string height afterwards.
I've been also told about putting a piece of wood behind the block, like in the Clapton Strat, but that's not what I mean here, I want to essentially lock the bridge flat to the body if I can. :think:

Please advise me, as I'm wary to taking any tools to a guitar without asking for assistance! 8-)

See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase, G&L Tech Tips sub-forum: How do I block the tremelo on my guitar?

Hope this helps.