Saddles problem with Asat classic

Sat May 28, 2011 11:05 am

Hi,

I've got a problem with my (brass) saddles on my 2008 asat classic.

Sometimes when I play, a saddle goes down, especially the 2 E, it's pretty annoying!

Is anybody knows a good fix for this? I was thinking about something to "lock" them a bit...

Re: Saddles problem with Asat classic

Sat May 28, 2011 12:02 pm

djyne wrote:Hi,

I've got a problem with my (brass) saddles on my 2008 asat classic.

Sometimes when I play, a saddle goes down, especially the 2 E, it's pretty annoying!

Is anybody knows a good fix for this? I was thinking about something to "lock" them a bit...

When you fix this, do you have to adjust the set screws? It is a bit of puzzle to me how a saddle can 'go down' except in the following two circumstances. First, the set screws have the 'wrong' diameter and the saddle can actually slide down either due to a really incorrect size or because the threads on set screw and/or saddle are stripped. In this case set screw and/or saddle need to be replaced. Second, sometimes the 'going down' of a saddle is actually the rotation around the set screw that is making contact. So I assume that you have made sure that both set screws are firmly in contact with the base plate of the ashtray. This can be simple fixed by adjusting the non-pivoting set screw until both make firm contact.

In principle it is possible that the set screws are actually rotation but I find this somewhat unlikely. In that case you might want to use a drop of Loctite blue (see this Set Screws in Bridge coming loose...... thread).

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Sat May 28, 2011 12:17 pm

Second, sometimes the 'going down' of a saddle is actually the rotation around the set screw that is making contact. So I assume that you have made sure that both set screws are firmly in contact with the base plate of the ashtray. This can be simple fixed by adjusting the non-pivoting set screw until both make firm contact.

I think that's my problem...maybe both screws don't make firm contact as you say. I'll try this

thanks

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:58 pm

Update : I still have the problem, but my saddles came with the guitar so I don't think the screws are incorrect.
I've noticed it more often when I play hard on lights strings (9-42).
But I prefer light strings for now, I don't want to go up a gauge for a saddle problem!

I've checked : both screws are firmly in contact with the ashtray...

I'll check the post you said