TRIBUTE 9" NECK REPLACEABLE W/ASAT U.S. 7.5" NECK?

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:04 pm

I have an ASAT Special Tribute with a 9" radius neck w/a rosewood fretboard. The guitar sounds great but I've always prefrerred the feel of a maple fretboard. I have the opportunity to get a nice deal on a 2005 USA ASAT neck with a maple fretboard and a 7.25 radius and I was wondering if this neck will fit on the ASAT Tribute. Everyone I've spoken to seems to think the heel on these necks are the same size, which would enable me to just remove the 9" Tribute neck and bolt on the replacement ASAT USA 7.25" neck, but nobody is able to confirm this with 100% certainty. Can someone on the forum say for sure? Thanks!

Re: TRIBUTE 9" NECK REPLACEABLE W/ASAT U.S. 7.5" NECK?

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:21 pm

blueburst wrote:I have an ASAT Special Tribute with a 9" radius neck w/a rosewood fretboard. The guitar sounds great but I've always prefrerred the feel of a maple fretboard. I have the opportunity to get a nice deal on a 2005 USA ASAT neck with a maple fretboard and a 7.25 radius and I was wondering if this neck will fit on the ASAT Tribute. Everyone I've spoken to seems to think the heel on these necks are the same size, which would enable me to just remove the 9" Tribute neck and bolt on the replacement ASAT USA 7.25" neck, but nobody is able to confirm this with 100% certainty. Can someone on the forum say for sure? Thanks!

See this post: Replacing the neck on a Legacy Tribute?
(The answer there would also apply to the Tribute ASAT Special)

Hope this helps.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:38 am

blueburst wrote:I have an ASAT Special Tribute with a 9" radius neck w/a rosewood fretboard. The guitar sounds great but I've always prefrerred the feel of a maple fretboard. I have the opportunity to get a nice deal on a 2005 USA ASAT neck with a maple fretboard and a 7.25 radius and I was wondering if this neck will fit on the ASAT Tribute. Everyone I've spoken to seems to think the heel on these necks are the same size, which would enable me to just remove the 9" Tribute neck and bolt on the replacement ASAT USA 7.25" neck, but nobody is able to confirm this with 100% certainty. Can someone on the forum say for sure? Thanks!

hey blueburst...
i may be interested in your neck... the 9 inch radius one.........would that neck fit on my 30th anniversary custom classic without me having to do any mods? thanks michael

Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:37 pm

Michael - An ASAT Special Tribute neck will NOT fit properly on a USA made ASAT 30th anniversary custom classic or any other USA Classic, for that matter. I've learned from the fine folks on GBL that you can only replace G&L necks with the EXACT neck for the model guitar you want to modify - and you definitely cannot use a Tribute neck on a USA model (which was the problem I had when I asked my original question). So for instance, if you have a #1 or #2 maple fretboard neck on your Anniverary Classic want to replace it with a neck that has rosewood fretboard, you'll need to get a #1 or #2 neck that was taken from another USA ASAT Classic otherwise the neck will not fit perfectly in the heel of the body and there will be a small space that will affect the sustain and overall tone of your guitar. You can visit the G&L neck profiles page at: http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/US ... guitar.asp to verify which number neck you have if you are not 100% certain. Once you find out, just keep searching on EBAY for G&L ASAT necks and unless your guitar has a rarely used neck size ( like 1C), eventually your size will probably show up.