View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 (Very) Heavy strings on a Legacy or other G&Ls? 

Post (Very) Heavy strings on a Legacy or other G&Ls?
Does anyone here have any experience stringing a Legacy with rather heavy strings? A lot of folks here seem to use sets starting at .009 - .011, but I tend to prefer sets that start with a .012 or .013 high e. I guess I'm particularly interested in your impressions of how the alnicos in the Legacy (or the pickups in any other G&L) respond to heavy strings, and your thoughts on setting up a DFV for use with these strings. Any available features on G&Ls (fretboard radius, frets, neck shape, etc) that you've found play particularly well with heavier strings? Thanks!

Sun May 08, 2011 11:36 am

Post Re: (Very) Heavy strings on a Legacy or other G&Ls?
I don't see a problem as such, The pickups could be lowered if needed, A spring could be added to the DF and the truss may need an adjustment due to the increased tension on the neck. I have not tried them but I suspect they would have more of an effect on a thinner neck that on a thicker neck. I suspect they would work better with the flatter radius (Radii)?? This is getting into acoustic territory-- Darwin.

Sun May 08, 2011 12:00 pm

it's been my experience that heavier strings equal better tone, but some would disagree..Legend has it that Stevie Ray Vaughn used 13's on his Strats..Best advice I can give is to fiddle around with pickup heights till you find that "sweet spot"..

Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:17 pm

When I got my first ASAT Classic last year I put 12s on it. That guitar was very unhappy, and had terrible tuning stability. I had been playing 13s on my previous go-to guitar (an old Epiphone), so I thought anything lighter than a 12 would feel too light. I ended up going down to 11s and then 10s, and the ASAT's performance improved drastically each time.

This might have been partially a function of having a BEM neck. I haven't strung any of my other G&Ls heavier than 11s, and haven't had any stability issues with them.

Ken

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi, my Legacy and my ASAT are strung with 11-49, there's absolutely no stability issue for the neck neither for the tuning. I haven't tried heavier gauge though. The sound is pretty good, I hear it especially on chording stuff, but, you have less of that vintage twang. Sometimes that sound seems just too big, but that's fine with me.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]