New G&L Locking Tuners...

Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:41 am

I'm posting this here, because all of G&Ls email addresses are broken...

Hello! I recently purchased a G&L Legacy guitar, Serial number CLF078961 used, a 2016 model. It came with standard G&L tuners, and I prefer locking, so I ordered locking tuners from your website with this description: " These are current equipment on G&L USA guitars when locking tuners are optioned and are drop-in replacements. They will replace older locking or non-locking G&L tuners that use a single pin on the backside". What a mess! The tuners arrived on time, and I removed my strings and removed the non-lockers. Inserted the lockers and noticed that they seem lower, but the pin and diameter were right. they didnt seem to tighten down well, but I installed a few. They were incredibly hard to tighten to a tension that would keep them from moving. Finally one of the pins snapped right off, and a few of the pin hole were made elongated by these stupid things. It seems the ferrule must bottom out before the turner can clamp the headstock sufficiently. It will NOT tighten enough to secure the tuner. Also, the Shaft doesn't protrude anywhere near enough to be usable, as you couldn't have more than a few (if that) winds before the string hits the tuner nut. I've reinstalled the original tuners and wasted a set of strings. I'm hoping G&L just sent the wrong tuners here. My order was #11982. BTW, your email link for repairs is broken.

If anyone knows another way to get a message to G&L, please let me know!
Warmest regards, Christian

Re: New G&L Locking Tuners...

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:02 pm

CouchingTiger wrote:I'm posting this here, because all of G&Ls email addresses are broken...

Hello! I recently purchased a G&L Legacy guitar, Serial number CLF078961 used, a 2016 model. It came with standard G&L tuners, and I prefer locking, so I ordered locking tuners from your website with this description: " These are current equipment on G&L USA guitars when locking tuners are optioned and are drop-in replacements. They will replace older locking or non-locking G&L tuners that use a single pin on the backside". What a mess! The tuners arrived on time, and I removed my strings and removed the non-lockers. Inserted the lockers and noticed that they seem lower, but the pin and diameter were right. they didnt seem to tighten down well, but I installed a few. They were incredibly hard to tighten to a tension that would keep them from moving. Finally one of the pins snapped right off, and a few of the pin hole were made elongated by these stupid things. It seems the ferrule must bottom out before the turner can clamp the headstock sufficiently. It will NOT tighten enough to secure the tuner. Also, the Shaft doesn't protrude anywhere near enough to be usable, as you couldn't have more than a few (if that) winds before the string hits the tuner nut. I've reinstalled the original tuners and wasted a set of strings. I'm hoping G&L just sent the wrong tuners here. My order was #11982. BTW, your email link for repairs is broken.

I will forward your post to my G&L contact, but first please list the email addresses you sent to and what error message(s) did you get to
indicate that they are broken.

Here is the email address for the Online Store manager: webstore@bbesound.com and this is the one you should contact first.

Once I get the list of email addresses you tried to use, I will forward post and the list of email addresses with issues to my contact.

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:55 pm

Sorry about the fit issues - one thing I’ll mention, locking tuners are designed so you *shouldn’t* have any string wraps around the post at all and so often stick up much shorter than regular tuners. The idea is, by not needing to wrap the string around the post you eliminate areas of possible friction. This also improves string break angle and allows one not to use a string tree (another source of possible friction.)

Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:47 pm

I have put locking tuners on pretty much every g&l guitar I have owned.

I am a little confused. They shouldn't be hard to tighten. They also shouldn't require sufficient force to break one of the pins.

They do have shorter poles because as Danley pointed out, you don't need to wrap the strings around them much.

Here is what they look like once they are installed. Is this what yours looked like?

Make sure that beveled ring/washer isn't missing.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:01 am

I'm more than a little confused as well. They do not tighten, just as I wrote. Yes, I have the beveled washer under the ferrule/nut, and I'm almost certain the ferrule/nut is bottoming out before the tuner tightens sufficiently. Hence why applying additional force snapped a pin...I'm also confused by G&L. I have emailed and called, left a message, sent a Facebook message and posted here. No one ever answers or returns.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:53 am

Craig wrote:
CouchingTiger wrote:I'm posting this here, because all of G&Ls email addresses are broken...

I will forward your post to my G&L contact, but first please list the email addresses you sent to and what error message(s) did you get to
indicate that they are broken.

Here is the email address for the Online Store manager: webstore@bbesound.com and this is the one you should contact first.

Once I get the list of email addresses you tried to use, I will forward post and the list of email addresses with issues to my contact.

You have not yet listed the email addresses you have sent email to and any error messages you received. Please do so, so that I may forward your post to my contact at G&L.

I also suggest you contact G&L Repair/Tech Support. email address is repairs@glguitars.com; phone number is (714)897-6766 extension 156.

Also please post some photos showing your installed locking tuner(s) from the top, bottom and side viiews.

BTW, where are you located?

I am trying to help you here, but need more information from you.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:14 pm

Thank you Craig, and everyone for posting. Although I had used both emails you provided earlier, they both bounced back. Now they both work, and I was able to get through. I first made contact through the Facebook page, and then an email was answered. Turns out this has happened before, and my tuner conundrum is solved. G&L has seen this before, and occasionally needs to cut down the nut / ferrule in order to clamp down sufficiently. They are sending me a set of ferrules and a tuner to replace to one I broke the pin off of. The reason turns out to be simple: each guitar is hand made, and occasionally the headstock is just a hair too thin for the stock tuners to clamp. G&L was very kind, and shipped the modified replacements the same day!

Once again, thank you all for responding! It's great to have this wealth of knowledge available here!

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:00 am

CouchingTiger wrote:Thank you Craig, and everyone for posting. Although I had used both emails you provided earlier, they both bounced back. Now they both work, and I was able to get through. I first made contact through the Facebook page, and then an email was answered. Turns out this has happened before, and my tuner conundrum is solved. G&L has seen this before, and occasionally needs to cut down the nut / ferrule in order to clamp down sufficiently. They are sending me a set of ferrules and a tuner to replace to one I broke the pin off of. The reason turns out to be simple: each guitar is hand made, and occasionally the headstock is just a hair too thin for the stock tuners to clamp. G&L was very kind, and shipped the modified replacements the same day!

Once again, thank you all for responding! It's great to have this wealth of knowledge available here!

Glad to hear G&L connected with you and are taking care of this issue for you!

Can you post the thickness of your headstock, so that others, wishing to order locking tuners, will know if the current stock replacements
will work for them.

I am also going to suggest to G&L to add a note about this and that they provide the headstock thickness range these replacements
will work with.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:05 pm

Absolutely! My headstock thickness measures .55" with a caliper, and it's pretty uniform throughout the headstock. G&L sent cut down ferrules, which appeared to be modified by sanding or grinding. These worked perfectly. Thank you for reaching out, and for all that you do to build the knowledge base!