Question about using lemon oil on Maple fretboard

Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:58 am

Hi all,

Good afternoon and glad to join the G&L family! I just bought a S-500 yesterday. It comes with Unfinished maple neck and fretboard. So I got a question:

Previously I use Dunlop 65 lemon oil on all my guitars, which are all feasured with rosewood fretboards. I mentioned that the instruction on Dunlop bottle saids:

"Not for Use on Maple Fretboards"

So I'm puzzled about this. Could anyone please help to ask how to care Unfinished maple neck and fretboard? Which product or oil can be used on this type? Many thanks! :-)

Re: Question about using lemon oil on Maple fretboard

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:23 pm

The use of Lemon Oil on Rosewood fingerboards is to keep the wood from drying out...it can crack if it gets too dry. Maple is not prone to drying out, or the problems associated with that, so needs nothing applied to it.

I just got my first maple fingerboard, too. As I understand it, the best way to keep it clean is just to wipe it down either with a dry cloth, or perhaps with a lightly damp cloth. How frequently depends on the user.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:51 pm

Thanks Muleya for your fast reply. So can the Unfinished or lacquered maple fingerboard be treated the same?

Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:18 pm

wildjimmie wrote:Hi all,

Good afternoon and glad to join the G&L family! I just bought a S-500 yesterday. It comes with Unfinished maple neck and fretboard. So I got a question:

Previously I use Dunlop 65 lemon oil on all my guitars, which are all feasured with rosewood fretboards. I mentioned that the instruction on Dunlop bottle saids:

"Not for Use on Maple Fretboards"

So I'm puzzled about this. Could anyone please help to ask how to care Unfinished maple neck and fretboard? Which product or oil can be used on this type? Many thanks! :-)

What you think is unfinished is really a satin poly finish on both the neck and fretboard. I agree with Muleya, just wipe down with a dry cloth or lightly damp (water) cloth. I'd also recommend this for the poly gloss finished
maple neck and fretboard, too.

Hope this helps.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:50 am

Thanks for the kindly help Craig & Muleya :-) I got it. Cheers~

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:43 am

I agree with Muleya and Craig: damp rag or cloth. You can also use Dunlop 65 Guitar Cleaner/Polish on it, but NEVER use lemon oil on a maple board!

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:06 am

What you think is unfinished is really a satin poly finish on both the neck and fretboard.

Never heard of an "unfinished" maple board. Maple would get very ugly in a short time if it were unfinished. Take a look at an old very used maple board where the finish has been worn off by playing--the entire board would look like that in no time.