saddle lock bridge questions

Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:31 pm

My new custom ASAT Special is my first ever saddle lock bridge guitar.

I did a search and didn't see this info, so I have a couple of questions:
1. Do I have to unlock the saddles before I adjust the string height?
2. My ASAT came with 3 allen wrenches - the biggest one is for the truss rod, the middle one fits into the saddle lock screw and pickup height, but the smallest one is too large for the individual saddle height adjusters. Is this a mistake? What size wrench is needed? (edit - just found size chart, but I still don't know what this small wrench's intended use is).
3. What about adjusting string length? (Again, must saddle be unlocked?)...

Thanks.

Re: saddle lock bridge questions

Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:50 pm

I have ASAT Special with the saddle lock and when that "lock" screw on the side is tight you won't be able to adjust the individual bridge pieces. Definitely loosen it up to make those adjustments and remember to tighten it back up. I have Tribute version and mine didn't come with the allen wrenches so not sure what the deal is there.

Have to say its a very well designed bridge and mine plays very nicely, stays in tune well, and is rock solid.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:50 pm

davecan wrote:My new custom ASAT Special is my first ever saddle lock bridge guitar.

I did a search and didn't see this info, so I have a couple of questions:
1. Do I have to unlock the saddles before I adjust the string height?
2. My ASAT came with 3 allen wrenches - the biggest one is for the truss rod, the middle one fits into the saddle lock screw and pickup height, but the smallest one is too large for the individual saddle height adjusters. Is this a mistake? What size wrench is needed? (edit - just found size chart, but I still don't know what this small wrench's intended use is).
3. What about adjusting string length? (Again, must saddle be unlocked?)...

Thanks.

The smallest allen wrench is used for the Saddle height on both the Dual Fulcrum Vibrato Bridge and the Guitar Saddlelock Bridge.
This would be the two allen screws on the top of each saddle. Depending upon the year of the guitar, it will be either a .50" or 1.5mm wrench size.

Yes, unlock the Saddlelock Bridge saddle lock nut before adjusting the saddle heights.

If you are changing the same size string(s), you don't need any wrench to change the string(s).

Hope this helps.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Just came back from hardware with a 1.5mm allen wrench and it fits perfectly. The 3rd G&L wrench is a little bit larger. Weird. This is a brand new 2011 guitar, so I dunno what happened, but not a big deal. (G&L, you owe me a tee-shirt if you're watching).