messed up tone?

Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:01 pm

Hello! Sorry if this question was answered already, I looked through the forum and didn't see a topic about it.

I just got my G&L Legacy (tribute series from Indonesia). And it's at least in good shape, but the top tone knob seems to buzz and just doesn't sound good at all when i use it. The bottom tone knob seems fine though. I bought a Marshall MG10 with the guitar so it's a brand new amp as well. I'm just wondering if this is normal or if there's a way to fix it if there is a problem. I haven't touched the truss rod or the saddles yet. Thanks!

Re: messed up tone?

Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Hi,

I trust you have checked all the soldering joints and made sure all of them make proper contact. To do this you would need to take the pickguard off. If there are crackling noises when you use your tone pot, most like it is dirty on the inside, and particular internal parts do not make proper contact. Sometimes you can solve that with contact spray. Otherwise, you would need to replace your pot. If you bought your guitar new, this would fall under the warranty and you should contact your dealer.

Hope this helps,

Jos

Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:42 pm

ok take pickguard off and check soldering joints. that shouldn't mess anything up i wouldn't think. but as far as contacting the dealer, i purchased the guitar from http://www.music123.com however, it was "new" and not a refurb.

i'll have to wait and do this tomorrow, i'd lose the screws tonight.
Last edited by G_LLegacy on Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi. I've had problems with the pots on one of my Tributes as well (a made in Korea model). Joh is right. I'd get it fixed under warranty if I were you. The pots on my ASAT were non-standard mini-pots and were difficult to find. Standard CTS pots did not fit in the cavity, but it may be different story for a Legacy. If CTS will fit, specify one of those. :thumbup:

Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:48 pm

Philby wrote:Hi. I've had problems with the pots on one of my Tributes as well (a made in Korea model). Joh is right. I'd get it fixed under warranty if I were you. The pots on my ASAT were non-standard mini-pots and were difficult to find. Standard CTS pots did not fit in the cavity, but it may be different story for a Legacy. If CTS will fit, specify one of those. :thumbup:

I don't know what a pot is or how to go about getting them fixed or whatever. I just send the guitar back to wherever and ask them to fix the pots? And a CTS pot is a "good" one so I should ask if that will fit? I swear I play better than I work on them, lol.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:34 pm

G_LLegacy wrote:
Philby wrote:Hi. I've had problems with the pots on one of my Tributes as well (a made in Korea model). Joh is right. I'd get it fixed under warranty if I were you. The pots on my ASAT were non-standard mini-pots and were difficult to find. Standard CTS pots did not fit in the cavity, but it may be different story for a Legacy. If CTS will fit, specify one of those. :thumbup:

I don't know what a pot is or how to go about getting them fixed or whatever. I just send the guitar back to wherever and ask them to fix the pots? And a CTS pot is a "good" one so I should ask if that will fit? I swear I play better than I work on them, lol.

so anyway, i'm stubborn and took the pickguard off. looks much like one of the diagrams i found on here. i'm new to this whole thing, but when i turned the pickguard over, i noticed a small spring magnetized under the middle pickup. is that supposed to be there? it's a small cone shaped spring and it's just magnetized to it. other than that, the entire inside was a bit dusty, but not to bad i guess. everything seemed to connected as well, except for that small spring.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:46 pm

G_LLegacy wrote:
G_LLegacy wrote:

so anyway, i'm stubborn and took the pickguard off. looks much like one of the diagrams i found on here. i'm new to this whole thing, but when i turned the pickguard over, i noticed a small spring magnetized under the middle pickup. is that supposed to be there? it's a small cone shaped spring and it's just magnetized to it. other than that, the entire inside was a bit dusty, but not to bad i guess. everything seemed to connected as well, except for that small spring.

upon further investigation i realize that the spring should be between the screw and the neck pick up as the other screw had one on it.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 pm

G_LLegacy wrote:ok take pickguard off and check soldering joints. that shouldn't mess anything up i wouldn't think. but as far as contacting the dealer, i purchased the guitar from http://www.music123.com however, it was "new" and not a refurb.

i'll have to wait and do this tomorrow, i'd lose the screws tonight.

G_LLegacy wrote:

upon further investigation i realize that the spring should be between the screw and the neck pick up as the other screw had one on it.

I'd suggest re-assembly and then re-test it. If it still is has this problem, return it to the dealer and have him
handle the warranty servicing. See the G&L Support page.

Hope this helps.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:55 pm

And a CTS pot is a "good" one so I should ask if that will fit?

Yup, CTS brand pots are considered to be better quality, with lower failure rates than standard no-name pots. CTS used to be American made though they probably come from Japan or China these days, much like all electronic components.

It shouldn't cost more than about $20 (pot included) to get a guitar tech to wire a new pot in, especially as you've already got the pickguard off. I know it should be covered under warranty, but the hassle of returning it to place of purchase, plus the time without an instrument might make $20 a sound investment. Just make sure the tech selects a pot of the right resistance (I think it's a 500K) and taper (audio or linear, can't remember which).

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:22 am

Thanks, Craig. Though I ordered my guitar from a music store online and the guitar was made in Indonesia (so it says). There's really no G&L dealers where I live so I guess I would go with the "no warranty" option even though I bought it new?

Phillby I googled pots out of curiosity and it's an animal I certainly don't wanna replace myself. When I figure out where I gotta mail this thing to, do I need to mail the whole guitar? Where do you get a box that big?

My pot looks much like this one, but I'm not sure like you said of how many ohms it is or if it's audio or linear.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Potentiometers/Standard_Control_Pots.html?tab=Pictures#details

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:20 am

G_LLegacy wrote:Thanks, Craig. Though I ordered my guitar from a music store online and the guitar was made in Indonesia (so it says). There's really no G&L dealers where I live so I guess I would go with the "no warranty" option even though I bought it new?

Phillby I googled pots out of curiosity and it's an animal I certainly don't wanna replace myself. When I figure out where I gotta mail this thing to, do I need to mail the whole guitar? Where do you get a box that big?

My pot looks much like this one, but I'm not sure like you said of how many ohms it is or if it's audio or linear.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Potentiometers/Standard_Control_Pots.html?tab=Pictures#details

The G&L Tribute line has a two year warranty and the instrument is not shipped back to Indonesia for repair. I suggest you
contact the dealer and ask what the warranty repair process is. Yes, you will need to return the complete guitar.
You should be able to use the same shipping container that was used to ship it to you.

Hope this helps.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:38 pm

Thank you, Craig. I posted a thread regarding the possibility that maybe the amp is the culprit. You guys can find it here

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=3495

If someone with this kind of knowledge can reply to this or even drop me a PM it would be appreciated, thanks. (: