View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 4 Way Switch 

Post 4 Way Switch
Has anyone tried a 4 way switch in an asat special? I see a lot of talk about using that modification in a tele and I like the idea but is there anything prohibiting that kind of thing in an asat special?

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:22 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: 4 Way Switch
darylb wrote:
Has anyone tried a 4 way switch in an asat special? I see a lot of talk about using that modification in a tele and I like the idea but is there anything prohibiting that kind of thing in an asat special?

You might try this one, found in our Gallery: SC-2/ASAT 4-Way Switching with revised Tone Control.

Hope this helps.

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:30 pm
Profile WWW

I know that fellow forumite sirmyghin has the 4-way switch in his Special. There's nothing prohibitive.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:06 pm

Just did the 4way switch a few days ago, very easy to do. Don't follow my example, I tried to pre-solder those little jumpers not thinking that a couple of those tabs need to have a second connection, still worked out fine but would have been easier if I hadn't. Just follow the schematic in the gallery that Craig posted up. I didn't change out any caps, tone pots , or alter the grounding points as suggested on it. Really enjoying the pickups in series, I'd love to get a sound clip up, just have been swamped at work this week, hopefully I'll get some time on Sunday :crazy:

-Dave

Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:17 pm

I have it on my '88 ASAT and ASAT Deluxe and will do it to others.

Had someone do the work for me, but no issues just greater tone options.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:11 am

The Diagram Craig put up works, but I chords to put the series position in #1 not 4 (wanted neck and bridge at each end still). I had to grind my switch it self a bit as it had a bit more throw than the conventional 3 way apparently. The 'series position' is that jumped across both pole sets (closest to the neck common on that diagram). I moved it over 1 or 2. My switch is B, B+N series, B+N parallel, N. I have a mod thread here, check it out if you want to see a picture.

As far as the series position on a special, it is a bit of a boost, sounds beefy, a little darker, very very useful.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:53 am

Great stuff. I have always been interested in that mod but never did it on the tele I had. I had been thinking though that it might make even more sense on the Special. From what I have heard, the new position creates somewhat of a humbucker feeling. To me, the bridge pickup has some humbucker qualities but adding that darker option is very intriguing.

Would you guys describe the added position as humbucker territory?

For the record, these big mfd's are the best pickups I have ever played. I dont know if a better neck pickup exists. The bridge pickup is a monster too. The only thing I have been missing is the bride pickup from my Legacy HB but if I can get near humbucker territory with a 4-way switch, I would be a happy camper.

Thanks all.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:03 am

sirmyghin wrote:
The Diagram Craig put up works, but I chords to put the series position in #1 not 4 (wanted neck and bridge at each end still). I had to grind my switch it self a bit as it had a bit more throw than the conventional 3 way apparently. The 'series position' is that jumped across both pole sets (closest to the neck common on that diagram). I moved it over 1 or 2. My switch is B, B+N series, B+N parallel, N. I have a mod thread here, check it out if you want to see a picture.

As far as the series position on a special, it is a bit of a boost, sounds beefy, a little darker, very very useful.

I hadnt seen your mod thread until just now and I have to say................. you are killing me.

First of all, that is my absolute favorite color/finish on a G&L guitar. I have loved it since the first time I saw one. And the cut out on the pickguard is fantastic. Unfortunately, my budget can only handle the Tribute model at this point so I have to put aside my lust for the orange guitar.

Second, now I want a phase switch too.

I have basically determined that I cant really afford to buy multiple guitars and given my very limited playing abilities, probably shouldnt. I have also determined that if a guy is only going to have one guitar, the asat special is a very good one to go with. I dont see my finances turning around any time soon so making this guitar the best it can be is really my only option. I need to do some more research on how to do the 4-way switch with the phase switch. Any info you can toss my way is much appreciated. Keep my noob status in mind. And I may one day get a neck with a maple board for this guitar. At that point it will be close to perfect ................. it just wont be orange.

Thanks again.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:20 am

How I wired the phase switch was before the 4 way, I used it on the bridge pickup for no other reason than I had matching wire colours for that one. (didn't have yellow). The phase switch is a bit of a tight fit. I am currently waiting on the final pickguard (currently in the mail) of black anodized aluminum. More pics soon I assure you. The out of phase is particularly useful when using in series B+N, you have a volume pretty comparable to your standard modes then (no percieved drop really). On the asat one thing I noticed with the phase switch and series is you can allow chords to bloom, upper harmonic seep in after the attack (meaning only one pickup is still registerring them). It is a very nice effect. I am a real help eh?

I since put a shadow kill pot in place of the pull solo switch on the Carvin too (nice piece of tool). But if I was forced to sell one of my guitars... It surely would not be the ASAT special.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:35 am

That asat is gorgeous. Exactly what I would have if I could.

Question. Could I use a push pull tone pot for the phase switch as opposed to fitting the extra switch in?

I really dont have a lot of experience with this stuff so forgive my likely basic questions.

And where are you having those pickguards made? They seem to really make a difference.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:42 am

darylb wrote:
That asat is gorgeous. Exactly what I would have if I could.

Question. Could I use a push pull tone pot for the phase switch as opposed to fitting the extra switch in?

I really dont have a lot of experience with this stuff so forgive my likely basic questions.

And where are you having those pickguards made? They seem to really make a difference.

You could, I have the phase switch on my carvin under the tone pot (connected to the neck in that case though). On an ASAT I would put it in place of the tone also, mostly so you don't accidentally run into it. I just the pickup switch occasionally when I have played the ASAT in a while in neck mode. My one concen would be that the cavity for controls on the ASATs is a touch shallow, a push pull pot might be a bit deep.

The pickguards are made by a guy I met on a different forum who has access to lazer cutters and the whole deal. We have had a hell of a time with this as G&Ls stock pickguard (from Chandler as I understand) was a terrible cut. Rubbed tight on pickups and neck joints etc. You'll probably notice that steel one isn't the tightest in a few areas, we tightened those up a bit for the final. It may still not be ultra tight but shouldn't have any undesired shine though. You can get away with a lot using plastic you cannot with metals is what I chock it up to. For a tribute you might need to redo the whole process, not sure if the neck joint etc are identical, otherwise he has this shape on file. The graphic/cut out can be changed, iirc it can also be etched instead of cut through. You would have to talk to the man himself for that leg, prices are the same deal, not my place to say. This piece of work is not what I would call expensive, but for perspective similar work from other makers (non metal at that, a certain acrylic custom cutter) quoted "300-400" for something with a cut out due to complexity. I paid around 1/2 of that for from the ground up custom work.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:58 am

Where do you guys buy your parts?

I was looking at Allparts at a Oak Grigsby switch. Sound ok?

I am going to do some measuring for the phase switch. I'd rather have the tone pot be a push pull than have an extra switch but not a huge deal. I'll make sure I have clearance tonight.

And thanks again for the info. I am pretty excited about doing this now.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:48 pm

I used 'guitarelectronics.com' the last time, I prefer them to all parts, more stuff overall. The pull pots they sell are also standard bushing size (the bourns anyway) opposed to allparts Alpha pots (they don't say that but that is what their 'nameless' ones are, which are small bushing.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]