Bridge pickup hums like no other guitar I have owned.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:56 pm

I just purchased a G&L asat classic. It is the tele style model. I love this guitar but when I am on the bridge pickup you can hear the hum while I am playing. When I switch to the middle setting it isn't near as bad, kinda like I would expect but the bridge hum is off the charts. None of my other guitars have this issue. Strats , teles are fine. Any suggestions?

Re: Bridge pickup hums like no other guitar I have owned.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:09 am

My ASAT had the hum problem and when you touched the strings it would stop.

Easy fix-
Slacken (or remove) the strings
Take the bridge off and make that little wire touch metal again

this was the article I used to fix mine

http://www.bassesbyleo.com/bridge_grounding.html

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:37 am

stagecoach wrote:My ASAT had the hum problem and when you touched the strings it would stop.

Easy fix-
Slacken (or remove) the strings
Take the bridge off and make that little wire touch metal again

this was the article I used to fix mine

http://www.bassesbyleo.com/bridge_grounding.html

We also have a post about this here which points to Ken Baker's same article. :thumbup:

If that does not resolve the issue, check the rest of the ground wiring.
We have a picture diagram of the ASAT Classic in our Gallery.

Hope this helps.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:46 pm

Thank you for the quick response, I will give this a shot and update you on rather or not this helped.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:59 pm

No luck, that didn't change anything at all. I have only had this guitar a couple weeks, bought it brand new. I just can't imagine that this is just how it is supposed to be. I know it isn't a real life situation but I will try to get a video up on you tube asap to let you guys hear it for yourselves. Thanks again for the help I really appreciate it.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:02 pm

Check with a multi meter that the earth of the socket is 0 ohm to the bridge plate.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:14 pm

Meter is reading about .003 to .007 ohm.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:18 pm

HEre is a link to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJw194C0AEc

Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:46 pm

wolfgangr wrote:No luck, that didn't change anything at all. I have only had this guitar a couple weeks, bought it brand new. I just can't imagine that this is just how it is supposed to be. I know it isn't a real life situation but I will try to get a video up on you tube asap to let you guys hear it for yourselves. Thanks again for the help I really appreciate it.

I suggest you return it to the G&L dealer and have them look into the problem. Perhaps have them do an A/B against another
ASAT Classic to hear any differences. I have concerns about your YouTube video regarding not having the guitar fully assembled,
especially the bridge loose and just resting on the ground wire. Let the dealer take care of this issue for you.

Hope this helps.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:57 pm

I will be making a trip to the dealer in St Louis, they have always been a huge help with any issues I have. I understand your concern regarding the video. I have since reassembled everything and it has the same problem as before. I will pull one off the wall when I get to the dealer and hook into the exact same model of amp and see what happens. Be about a week so I will get back to you when I have more information. Your input has been really appreciated.