Set Screws in Bridge coming loose......

Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:18 am

If I posted this twice, let me apologize in advance. I am getting used to the forum, as the interface is a bit differnt to what I am accustom.

Anyway, I bought this G&L new in 1994. I LOVE the guitar. I think G&L's should be selling for a lot more, totally under rated. That being said.

I have had one minor issue since new, and it's driving me nuts.

The string saddle set screws for the action keep coming lose. The saddles drop on one side, especially both "E" strings.

Is this common? Is there a fix short of Loc Tite? I would perfer not to try to put Loc Tite in such a small area.

Here's some pics of the guitar:

Re: Set Screws in Bridge coming loose......

Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:33 am

I have had the same issue with the Fender Jazzmaster bridges that I use on Bigsbys and the saddles are very similar to what you are using. I apply a drop of loctite blue, which is designed for screws that may need adjustment. Locktite red can be permanent especially on a small screw. I apply a small drop from the end of a toothpick and it does not need to go all the way around the screw. After a couple of minutes,I clean the screw with a rag to remove exposed residue. I apply the locktite after the adjustments have been made. Another idea that I have not tried would be to remove the screw, apply a dot on the screw thread and allow to dry. After it has dried, reintstall the screw and adjust. Sometimes I have received products with a blue dot applied to the screw. It may be worth a try. Maybe others have some better ideas.--- Darwin

Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Having done some machining in my younger days and I remember that there are different fit on threads. That some can be made to fit tighter or loser. I'm surprised they used a lose fit.

Thanks for the input, I'd like to hear all suggestions too!

Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:39 pm

Up...

Hello boys,

I have the same problem with my 2008 Asat classic.
It's kinda strange to have this type of problem on this high grade instrument :confused0007:

Did you solve it jsup? I'm thinking about the loctite too

Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:01 pm

This is a common problem on all fender style bridges and has NOTHING to do with quality!!! I've seen it on Squires, and $5000 Fender custom shop guitars. And G&Ls. It's not a big deal. (Happened all the time with my 1960 Strat, until I figured out how to fix it. Is a $40,000 hunk of wood high-end enough?) :D

First rule: When you are adjusting these bridges, always make sure that your final turn of the set screw applies positive pressure (clock-wise rotation) to the set screw. That alone will fix 95% of the problems.

And if you don't want to buy an expensive tube of Loc-Tite for one toothpick use--try some of your wife's Sally Hansen Clear Nail Polish. OR, if she uses a lacquer-based hairspray, such as Final Net, you can spray a small amount on a cotton swap (Q-Tip) and wipe the top of the set screw. Presto! The bridge won't change until your next set up. And you fixed it CHEAP! (I like cheap!)

Yeah, little things like this can make us question our sanity at times, but they are afterall, imperfect, being made by humans.

Beautiful ASAT, jsup! Remember to smile when you play her!

Bill

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Thanks for the output,
I'm not married yet so I'll try the first step, and if it doesn't work, use the locklite.

I'm relieved now you're saying that your ole strat's doing the same :mrgreen:

Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:33 pm

I like the non permanent fix of nail polish or hairspray..Thanks for that..Beautiful ASAT by the way!!

Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:35 am

darwinohm wrote:I have had the same issue with the Fender Jazzmaster bridges that I use on Bigsbys and the saddles are very similar to what you are using. I apply a drop of loctite blue, which is designed for screws that may need adjustment. Locktite red can be permanent especially on a small screw. I apply a small drop from the end of a toothpick and it does not need to go all the way around the screw. After a couple of minutes,I clean the screw with a rag to remove exposed residue. I apply the locktite after the adjustments have been made. Another idea that I have not tried would be to remove the screw, apply a dot on the screw thread and allow to dry. After it has dried, reintstall the screw and adjust. Sometimes I have received products with a blue dot applied to the screw. It may be worth a try. Maybe others have some better ideas.--- Darwin

There is a loc tite made for aluminum that would work better than the red loc tite. I have seen it used a bike shops. I believe the blue loctite is what your looking for. If you use red loctite you will never be able to remove the set screw. I've seen the red loctite take the threads off of the king pins of a MCI motor coach, very nasty.