Questtion: locking tuners for G&L Tribute S-500

Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi,

I have a Tribute S-500 and I´d like to replace the tuners with locking tuners. The present tuners have two pins.
I´d like to know if there is any model that could be installed without drilling holes for pins or screws.
Thanks a lot for your help !!

JA

Re: Questtion: locking tuners for G&L Tribute S-500

Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:13 pm

I discovered the same thing on my Asat Special Tribute. The American G&L basically uses two different tuners and they are not interchangeable. One is a Sperzel which is labeled Sperzel and the other is probably manufactured by Schaller and labeled G&L. Schaller Locking Tuners from Stewmac fit perfectly and Sperzel locking fit Sperzel models. I have not yet found a replacement for the Tributes. I would love to find out as I would like to replace mine. Fender uses a 2 pin tuner but they will not fit either as the holes are further away from the center post. More information but not much help-- Darwin

Re: Question: locking tuners for G&L Tribute S-500

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:24 am

I agree, I saw pictures of Fender Schaller tuners and had the impression that the distance to the pins is bigger. Well, I´ll keep on searching and let you know about the outcome.

JA

Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:33 am

Maybe this helps. I´ve found out that the Tribute has Jin Ho Standard Sealed Housing-F J-802 tuners:
http://www.jinhomusic.com/standard/j_802.html
The pins are different from those in a Fender Schaller, the only 2 pin locking tuners I´ve seen so far.
It seems that there is no locking tuner that could be a direct replacement :thumbdown:

Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:33 pm

Maybe the Jin Ho locking tuners would fit since they are the same brand? Has anybody tried?

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:34 pm

Hi,
I added these locking tuners to my S-500 Tribute. They are a direct drop in. NO extra holes required.
https://www.kieselguitars.com/products/CLT6C
Cheers,
Reg