View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Another newbie set up question 

Post Another newbie set up question
I'm not a total newbie when it comes to playing guitar, but when it comes to set up I just don't want to make things worse. I am too poor to buy a camera so the best that I can do is describe my situation and hopefully give a good enough visual description for someone to give me advice. Again, I apologize.
My high e string (high as in tone, the thin one) bridge saddle looks to be out of whack. I'm not quite sure how I didn't notice before but here is the issue; There are, as all of you know, two screws that adjust the saddle height. All of my saddles end up to be relatively even except for this one. The screw closest to me if I am playing is at a 'normal height' where the screw closest to the bottom of the fretboard is all the way loosened. In other words the saddle is extremely lopsided and I am thinking this might be part of the issue when I play the high e and its tendency to go off of the fretboard. Should I raise this one screw to even out the saddle, or was this how the guitar was set up to be the best it could? I realize that a picture would help alot, but hopefully my description will give a decent enough visual to understand my question.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Post Re: Another newbie set up question
I would measure the height of the string at the 12 th fret. You most likely want to keep the string the same height. Then I would back out the inside screw 1/2 turn, raise the outside screw 1/2 turn and do this in increments of 1/4 turn until the saddle is level. The way it currently is adjusted could cause a buzz. Hopefully the string height is correct. Radius gauges are perfect for this and just last week someone posted a link for a free radius gauge that you could print, cut out and make your own. -- Darwin.

Last edited by darwinohm on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:53 pm

Here's the link for the freebie fretboard radius gauge

It WILL help you adjust those saddles to the right height :D

Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Thanks fellas. I knew that I sould but I guess I needed reassurance. I'm more than a little tired of losing a note cuz the string goes off the fretboard. Sounds soo haggard

Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:20 pm

Screwing it back in will put the string into proper alignment. I had the same problem on an ASAT - the saddle was angled towards the edge of the bridge. It should take about a minute to fix it :D

Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Thanks Blarg, you seem to be a regular in answering my dumbass questions. I just didnt want to make things worse by adjusting it but I think I'm just gonna go for it. You guys are my heroes

Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]