Changing Pickup Covers and/Or Pickguard and ....

Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:21 pm

How difficult or complicated would it be to change the pickup covers on the ASAT Special Semi-Hollow's MFD?

Are the pickup covers glued or sealed around the pickup, itself?

How about the pickguard?

How about that chrome metal strip that the volume and tone knobs and pup switch sits on?

I've seen a few pictures of that metal strip in black. Does G&L have them (that meatl strip) for sale in black?

I'm thinking of making just a few modest changes to these parts I've listed up above. Just aesthetic changes, really.

But I'm not a major tech guy. I can do the simple stuff without screwing anything up. So I'm wondering how involved these parts are and if they are hardwired or glued/sealed arounf or onto anything else.

Re: Changing Pickup Covers and/Or Pickguard and ....

Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:58 pm

NMyTree wrote:How difficult or complicated would it be to change the pickup covers on the ASAT Special Semi-Hollow's MFD? Are the pickup covers glued or sealed around the pickup, itself?

Not too hard. They are not glued on. But you have to be careful not to damage the winding. Here is a couple of photos of a 20th Anniversary on Greg Gagliano's website where he also displays this picture of what that pickup would look like without cover. But you see that if your pickup is overwound, some care is necessary. You can purchase pickup covers for the special from the G&L Online Store.
NMyTree wrote:How about the pickguard?

Pick guards are not available from the Online store. But G&L obtains them from Chandler.
NMyTree wrote:How about that chrome metal strip that the volume and tone knobs and pup switch sits on?

I've seen a few pictures of that metal strip in black. Does G&L have them (that meatl strip) for sale in black?

Control plates are not available through the online store. For a black wrinkle powder-coated version used in the mid-'80s, you would have to contact ESI. And if the dimensions match (you'll have to check) standard Tele control plates in several finishes can be gotten from Stewart-MacDonald.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:47 pm

Regarding replacing pickup covers: because the pickups are wax potted, you might have to gently heat the existing cover with
say a hair dryer (don't use too high of a setting) before removal. Just enough to soften the wax to remove the cover.

Regarding obtaining a powder coated black control cover: another source is Tone-Guard.

Hope this helps.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:56 am

Thank you! Very helpful and appreciated.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Another question.....

I've seen some pics of this (ASAT Special Semi-Hollow) guitar with black bridges. Is that an option available from G&L when ordering a new guitar? Is it possible to order a black bridge to replace the chrome one currently on this guitar?

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:01 pm

NMyTree wrote:Another question.....

I've seen some pics of this (ASAT Special Semi-Hollow) guitar with black bridges. Is that an option available from G&L when ordering a new guitar? Is it possible to order a black bridge to replace the chrome one currently on this guitar?

Not that I know of. All hardware is now finished in chrome. ESI mentions bridges on their website. You could gcontact them and see if they do what you want.

- Jos

Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:36 am

Does anyone know what's going on with ESI? I tried sending them several e-mails and they won't go through. Keep getting Error messages and my e-mails get bounced to my Outbox and stay there. Still trying to find a Black bridge for my ASAT Special Semi-hollow.

Thanks.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:41 am

Has anyone ever tried those Control Plates from Stewart-Mac? These.....

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_p ... es#details

Any idea if these are the correct size/dimensions?

Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:57 am

NMyTree wrote:Has anyone ever tried those Control Plates from Stewart-Mac? These.....

Just measured my 86 ASAT and the length and screw holes are both a tiny bit longer than these dimensions. I don't think this plate will work.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:14 pm

brianr0131 wrote:
NMyTree wrote:Has anyone ever tried those Control Plates from Stewart-Mac? These.....

Just measured my 86 ASAT and the length and screw holes are both a tiny bit longer than these dimensions. I don't think this plate will work.

Thanks Brian. I can't measure mine yet, because I won't be finished paying it off till the first week of May. That's when I'll bring her home.

So if the dimensions of the contriol plate on my 2006 ASAT Specuial Sem-Hollow are the same as your 86 ASAT (and I believe they are), I can't use the one in the link at Stew-Mac. Bummer.

I don't know what's going on with ESI, can't reach them by e-mail. E-mails won't go through, nothing but Error messages.

Any other sources out there for these Control Plates?

Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:03 pm

Your 2006 control plate should be a standard Tele length. The longer plates were only used on the 3-bolt neck ASATs. You could use VHT (Brand) Black wrinkle paint to get a similar look to the '86 era G&L's.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:42 pm

Thumbs wrote:Your 2006 control plate should be a standard Tele length. The longer plates were only used on the 3-bolt neck ASATs. You could use VHT (Brand) Black wrinkle paint to get a similar look to the '86 era G&L's.

This is great news for OP! Thanks for correcting me Thumbs. This place is great.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:20 pm

Thank you, Thumbs.

I'll give those a try.

Thank you, Brian. I appreciate the help.