S-500 trem set up

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:03 am

Basically this trem should float, correct? Just like a Floyd. When the strings are in tune the trem plate should sit level with the body, right?

Who ever had this guitar before, either had it set to block the trem, or didn't know how this should work. Far too much tension on the springs right now.

Just want to make sure this trem SHOULD float, before i adjust it.

Thanks.

Re: S-500 trem set up

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:30 am

bobt wrote:Basically this trem should float, correct? Just like a Floyd. When the strings are in tune the trem plate should sit level with the body, right?

Who ever had this guitar before, either had it set to block the trem, or didn't know how this should work. Far too much tension on the springs right now.

Just want to make sure this trem SHOULD float, before i adjust it.

Thanks.

That is correct, it should float. See these posts here in the G&L Tech Tips:

How-To Guide
How to adjust tremolo or soften trem effect?
Set-Ups, answering some questions

Hope this helps.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks....I thought so. Didn't make sense the way it was set up. The guy had 10's on it when i got it, also 1 spring is missing (3 spring, standard) so there is only 2 on it. But who ever "supposedly" set this up...the spring tension was far to much..even for 12's I had to back this off ALOT...just to get it to float.

I don't have a piece of 3/16 wood, or something soft that will not mare the guitar, so i'm just doing it by eye. As i do with my Floyd's...LOL

The guy told me it was set up by a pro...LOL Whoever it was didn't know how to set up a floating trem..thats for sure.

Thanks again.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:35 pm

bobt wrote:Thanks....I thought so. Didn't make sense the way it was set up. The guy had 10's on it when i got it, also 1 spring is missing (3 spring, standard) so there is only 2 on it. But who ever "supposedly" set this up...the spring tension was far to much..even for 12's I had to back this off ALOT...just to get it to float.

I don't have a piece of 3/16 wood, or something soft that will not mare the guitar, so i'm just doing it by eye. As i do with my Floyd's...LOL

The guy told me it was set up by a pro...LOL Whoever it was didn't know how to set up a floating trem..thats for sure.

Thanks again.

Here's another post which might help: What is the "toothbrush trick"?

Hope this helps.