Hum and Buzz from your ASAT

Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:49 pm

Hello Folks...sorry if this is a redundant topic, but I'm a tinhorn to the site...

Has anybody had trouble with an overly annoying BUZZ or Hum coming from their ASAT? I play it through a Twin and a Classic 30, and on BOTH amps, the hum is almost overwhelming. It's gotten to the point that I can't use the NECK or BRIDGE position...I can only use the center position of the switch...in this position the hum seems to cancel out.

Please help! I LOVE my ASAT, but I'm about to go nuts....

Re: Hum and Buzz from your ASAT

Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:40 pm

Me too. My ASAT hums like crazy but my Special is much quieter. I don't know why. Unfortunately the hum inspires me to pick up the Special ahead of the ASAT.

I intend to pull the electronics out soon and shield the cavities with aluminium foil, as well as check the earth points. I shielded my noisy S-500 recently and was very pleased with the reduction in hum. It is now dead silent in the in-between positions, and almost silent in positions 1, 3 and 5. The amount of hum used to depend on whether I was touching the strings. After shielding it makes no difference at all. Shielding is easy enough to do, just a boring, tedious task.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks! I've heard of guys doing this...even seen some guitars done this way, but never heard if it really worked or not. I'll try it. At this point any reduction in the buzz will help. I really love the sound of this ax, and don't want to let it go or replace the pups.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:38 pm

My ASAT had the hum problem and when you touched the strings it would stop.

Easy fix-
Slacken (or remove) the strings
Take the bridge off and make that little wire touch metal again

this was the article I used to fix mine

http://www.bassesbyleo.com/bridge_grounding.html

Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Let us know how your shielding goes Geezer. I've never shielded a tele type guitar before. Only strats. The effect should be similar though.

Stagecoach's suggestion might be an easier first place to start.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:12 pm

my Legacy has the same issue and i'm not sure i'm brave enough to try this "shielding" technique. i don't even know how to remove the control knobs, though i assume u just pull them off somehow...

it's a 2010 Legacy Tribute (to my knowledge). and the top tone knob buzzes like a bee in any position regardless if i have my hands on the strings or not. i'm playing through a brand new Marshall MG10. This guitar / amp is less than a week old and it's done this since day 1. It's getting to be unbearable! I can play with the top tone knob in the "off" position, but if I turn it even the slightest bit it will buzz.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:49 pm

G_LLegacy wrote:my Legacy has the same issue and i'm not sure i'm brave enough to try this "shielding" technique. i don't even know how to remove the control knobs, though i assume u just pull them off somehow...

it's a 2010 Legacy Tribute (to my knowledge). and the top tone knob buzzes like a bee in any position regardless if i have my hands on the strings or not. i'm playing through a brand new Marshall MG10. This guitar / amp is less than a week old and it's done this since day 1. It's getting to be unbearable! I can play with the top tone knob in the "off" position, but if I turn it even the slightest bit it will buzz.

See my reply to your other post on this.

Hope this helps.