Comanche wiring and acessories

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:50 am

Hello group.

I purchased a comanche today. I was thinking strat or strat copy and then I found out about G&L. I was going to pick up a Godin but the S-500 and Legacy caught my eye, then I found a new Comanche!
I tried several G&L models while I was at the dealer. I liked the Legacy and Comanche best.

I bought a model made in Indonesia. I gather that makes it a Tribute model?
It did not come with anything. No manual, no extra parts, no hex keys... Just the guitar and the tremelo bar. Is this normal?

I managed to find the GL manual on line. It covers several models. I guess there is no Comanche specific manual then?

I found a wiring diagram for the S-500 but nothing for the Comanche. Are the two wired the same?
And is there any documentation for tweaking the z-coils. I understand that there can be some sort of height adjustment done on each screw under each string. What does raising and lowering (tightening/loosening) each hex screw do for the sound?

Is there anything else I should download or is there any other guitar specific part I should be aware of (my comanche came with 3 springs installed).

Thanks

Alp

Re: Comanche wiring and acessories

Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:31 am

Welcome Alp, you'll find alot of good info here:
http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1329

I thought the new tributes came with a gig bag, there might be one with some minimal case candy somewhere at that store if it's a new guitar.

...and we love pics when you get a chance,

cheers

Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Yes, I thought perhaps a "gig bag" would have been included, but the dealer said no, it's just the guitar.
Sticker on the back indicates it was made in Indonesia and inspected by Rosid on 17 Oct 2008.
He offered a solid case for free if I purchased the guitar that day, but after inspecting the case I thought I should get something with a bit more quality and declined. Managed to get a set of strings thrown in and the price reduced $50.

Photos?

You guys have not seen enough factory produced Comanche's yet?
In any case, I see no way to attach an image. Maybe some one could educate me?

Body is what I would call a "tiger stripe" wood grain/amber finish which fades to a coffee brown at the edges. Probably not the proper terminology. Rosewood fretboard.
See http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/Tr ... /index.asp and add a rosewood fretboard and you got it.
I should add that one thing is a bit different.
There is a small toggle switch located between the volume and the first tone knob. My guitar does not have the push-pull knob that I have seen on the S-500 and read about on other comanche's. How common is this? Was this done on only a few guitars for a short period or did the factory run out of parts and have to improvise? Anyway I'd rather have the toggle switch as it is.

The finish is a stunning gloss.

As for how it sounds... I ain't too worried, I plug it into an Axe-FX.

Alp
Last edited by Alp on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:46 pm

BTW... I found the wiring diagrams in the Gallery.

Seems the photo shows another Comanche with the toggle switch as well!

Alp

Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:17 pm

Alp wrote:Yes, I thought perhaps a "gig bag" would have been included, but the dealer said no, it's just the guitar.
Sticker on the back indicates it was made in Indonesia and inspected by Rosid on 17 Oct 2008.
He offered a solid case for free if I purchased the guitar that day, but after inspecting the case I thought I should get something with a bit more quality and declined. Managed to get a set of strings thrown in and the price reduced $50.

I paid $900, bought the guitar in Vancouver BC. I understand the price range is 700 to 900 in the US so I guess I got a fair deal.

Photos?

You guys have not seen enough factory produced Comanche's yet?
In any case, I see no way to attach an image. Maybe some one could educate me?

Body is what I would call a "tiger stripe" wood grain/amber finish which fades to a coffee brown at the edges. Probably not the proper terminology. Rosewood fretboard.
See http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/Tr ... /index.asp and add a rosewood fretboard and you got it.
I should add that one thing is a bit different.
There is a small toggle switch located between the volume and the first tone knob. My guitar does not have the push-pull knob that I have seen on the S-500 and read about on other comanche's. How common is this? Was this done on only a few guitars for a short period or did the factory run out of parts and have to improvise? Anyway I'd rather have the toggle switch as it is.

The finish is a stunning gloss.

As for how it sounds... I ain't too worried, I plug it into an Axe-FX.

Alp

See guitarsbyleo.com History and G&LDP Guidelines.
There is a section on posting photos here.

From the G&L main website Tribute Comanche Custom spec page:

OTHER G&L Deluxe Gig Bag included in USA (Outside USA please contact your G&L distributor for availability)

So, the gig bag must not have been available from that dealer. However, I would have thought that the metric allen wrench kit and warranty card would have been included. I think you should check with the dealer about those.

The mini-toggle switch is standard and is the expander switch. See What is the expander switch used on many of the models? for details. As far as I know, the Tribute Comanche Custom has always had the mini-toggle switch. On some other models (both USA and imports) they use a push/pull pot for the
switch.

Hope this helps.

Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:25 pm

Alp wrote:I found a wiring diagram for the S-500 but nothing for the Comanche. Are the two wired the same?

Here's the Comanche wiring information, which is in the Gallery.

Hope this helps.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:59 am

So the toggle switch is standard on the Comanche. I like that better than the pull up knobs.
It is possible another Comanche will be sold, once my brother sees this guitar and hears it....

Wiring diagram, thanks! I did manage to find the gallery and check out a few things though I did not update my post with the fact that I eventually found the wiring diagram.

I looked into posting a photo, but it seems I have to have it put up on a personal website, I can't send it in with a post. I tried keeping photos on a personal website once, but I had to keep taking them down to make room for other photos/videos. If I did post photos of the guitar they would possibly not stay up for long.
I guess as co-webmaster you would be very "pro-photo"

I won't promise anything right now.

Stay well!

Alp

Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:07 am

Alp wrote:So the toggle switch is standard on the Comanche. I like that better than the pull up knobs.
It is possible another Comanche will be sold, once my brother sees this guitar and hears it....

Wiring diagram, thanks! I did manage to find the gallery and check out a few things though I did not update my post with the fact that I eventually found the wiring diagram.

I looked into posting a photo, but it seems I have to have it put up on a personal website, I can't send it in with a post. I tried keeping photos on a personal website once, but I had to keep taking them down to make room for other photos/videos. If I did post photos of the guitar they would possibly not stay up for long.
I guess as co-webmaster you would be very "pro-photo"

I won't promise anything right now.

Stay well!

Alp

Perhaps you missed about registering on our Gallery and uploading photos of your G&L instruments to your own Album.
You can then post an image link in the Forum. Again, see the guitarsbyleo.com History and G&LDP Guidelines for details.

Hope this helps.