View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 My MFD went massively microphonic! Suggestions? 
Site Admin

Post My MFD went massively microphonic! Suggestions?
[From a post on the G&LDP: Nah by
GPD on July 01, 2009 in response to post:
My MFD went massively microphonic! Suggestions? posted by / / / / B R O C K on July 01, 2009]

: Do I just get a new MFD? It's a BBE-era SB-1 MFD.

There are only so many causes...here's the checklist:
1. Make sure the magnets and keeper plates are firmly glued in place. The bond often breaks
down over time leaving the magnets to keep the whole mess together. Re-glue.

2. Re-Pot the pickup...I use a 90% Pariffin, 10% Bee's Wax mix. I heat it up in an old crock pot
with a variac in front of it. This way I can keep the temp at 150 degrees F. You can dangle
from the leads across a paint stick with a small clamp suspending the pickup or put glass marbles
in the bottom of the pot to keep the pickup from hitting the hot sides & bottom of the pot.
I actually have a vacuum potting setup on mine which is a bit more involved. You might consider
sending your pickup out to get vacuum/pressure potted because you get much better coil pack
saturation this way. All sorts of pickup builders offer this service for around $10/pickup.

3. Before potting I always leave the pole inserts adjusted up high...this way I know the wax is
going to permeate the threaded internals of the poles. After they come out of the pot I snug
them down to the desired height then dunk them again. This way the inserts cannot rattle inside
the pole.

That's about it...

Gabe

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 1 post ]