Re: ASAT neck radius

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:06 pm

blueraven wrote:I have an older USA ASAT Special (4 bolt neck) and recently purchased a newer 2007-2008 ASAT Special. Both have rosewood fretboards. The newer ASAT has the gun oil finish and is a 9.5" radius. The older one is a satin finish neck and I believe it has a 12" radius. G&L advertises USA ASAT Specials as having 7.5" radius necks. Is it possible the older satin finish USA ASAT's had the larger radius? I have a 90's S-500 as well and I believe it has a 12" radius. The older satin finish ASAT neck feels more like the neck on the S-500. Can anyoone out there clarify?
Thanks

If the 2007-2008 ASAT Special is a Tribute model the neck radius would be 9". If it's a USA model, it can be either the standard 7.5" radius or the optional 12" radius. There is no optional 9.5" radius
neck for G&L's. here's a link to the G&L Guitar Options page which has a chart of all currently available neck options.

Hope this helps.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:38 am

I read (I guess somewhere on this board but I haven't found it back for now) that ASAT are now built with a 12" radius and that actually the 7.5" radius is optional (even if it's advertised as standard on the spec pages of G&L's website). Could you confirm or invalidate that?

One of the reasons I'm wondering is because I see many sellers advertising the necks as 7.5". I guess that shouldn't happen with new guitars as the information is on the COA. But I'm under the impression that they only copy/paste G&L's website information wthout actual knowledge of the radius of the guitar they are selling (be it used or new).

Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:00 pm

Xochitl wrote:I read (I guess somewhere on this board but I haven't found it back for now) that ASAT are now built with a 12" radius and that actually the 7.5" radius is optional (even if it's advertised as standard on the spec pages of G&L's website). Could you confirm or invalidate that?

One of the reasons I'm wondering is because I see many sellers advertising the necks as 7.5". I guess that shouldn't happen with new guitars as the information is on the COA. But I'm under the impression that they only copy/paste G&L's website information wthout actual knowledge of the radius of the guitar they are selling (be it used or new).

I believe if your do not explicitly make a different choice, an ASAT would still come with a #2 neck by default, i.e. Vintage "C" neck carve and 7.5" fingerboard radius. However, having said that, in and era where most modern guitars of other manufacturers come with flatter fingerboards, it is worthwhile to state the fact that your board is more curved that the average guitar next to it. And there are plenty of dealers that would order their ASAT's with a #1 neck for that reason. Guess it all depends what your expectation is of what curvature one should expect in these days.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:19 pm

Xochitl wrote:I read (I guess somewhere on this board but I haven't found it back for now) that ASAT are now built with a 12" radius and that actually the 7.5" radius is optional (even if it's advertised as standard on the spec pages of G&L's website). Could you confirm or invalidate that?

AFAIK, the specs on the G&L instrument spec pages are up to date, except for the SC-2 page.
G&L recently lifted the restriction on the SC-2 neck size, body wood, and finishes. I'm sure Dave will get around to
updating those specs to reflect this change.

BTW, if not special ordered, all USA ASAT models except for the Will Ray Signature and the ASAT Deluxe models, necks are #2.
The Will Ray Signature and ASAT Deluxe models standard order neck is the #1.

I cannot speak for what the dealer do or don't do regarding their advertising of the instruments they sell.

One of the benefits of the new Custom Spec Sheet provided with each new instrument is that it provides all details of that instrument.
Hopefully the dealers will provide this information when displaying and/or advertising an instrument. G&L provides
two copies of the Custom Spec Sheet for that reason.

Hope this helps.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:33 am

Craig wrote:BTW, if not special ordered, all USA ASAT models except for the Will Ray Signature and the ASAT Deluxe models, necks are #2.

That's the information I was looking for. Thanks, Craig.