intonation on low e

Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:52 pm

I can not get the intonation set on the low E string on my l-1500 bass. I have the saddle as far back as it will go and the fretted note(12) is still a bit sharp from the harmonic. I've tried diferrent adjustments with the neck and nothing seems to work. I tune in drop D and use a .105 guage string. Any suggestions out there?

Re: intonation on low e

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:46 pm

Different brands of strings intonate differently due to materials etc.

You might have to try a couple other brands to find one that works well,
...the only other thing I can think of is to use a lighter gauge
but since you use a drop D tuning that might not be the best way to go.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:37 pm

bestfor33 wrote:I can not get the intonation set on the low E string on my l-1500 bass. I have the saddle as far back as it will go and the fretted note(12) is still a bit sharp from the harmonic. I've tried diferrent adjustments with the neck and nothing seems to work. I tune in drop D and use a .105 guage string. Any suggestions out there?

don't know if this is really true but I was once told by a tech to intonate open string to 12th fret..Not Open string to harmonic..you might try that..good Luck..

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:23 pm

bestfor33 wrote:I can not get the intonation set on the low E string on my l-1500 bass. I have the saddle as far back as it will go and the fretted note(12) is still a bit sharp from the harmonic. I've tried diferrent adjustments with the neck and nothing seems to work. I tune in drop D and use a .105 guage string. Any suggestions out there?

A couple things:

1. You might read this. It's helped a lot of people intonate their basses (and guitars).

2. Depending on the instrument, a .105 can be pretty light for drop D. I'll bet you find that it'll intonate just fine when tuned to E. Try a .110, or maybe even a .115, and be sure to reinforce that witness (break) point.

Ken...