Birthmark newer guitars

Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:12 pm

Hello G&L-ers. You have a great forum here, congratulations!

I was reading an old thread but was unable to write there, as it is locked now:

viewtopic.php?p=96955#p96955

After reading the last post by site admin Craig, could one say that any newer guitar, say after end 2016 do not have a dot birthmark anymore? I have seen an asat s classic with no dot at all and was wondering why. I was unable to find more information than the detailed in cited post.

Thank you!

Re: Birthmark newer guitars

Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:49 pm

Korkenknopfus wrote:Hello G&L-ers. You have a great forum here, congratulations!

I was reading an old thread but was unable to write there, as it is locked now:

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic ... 955#p96955

After reading the last post by site admin Craig, could one say that any newer guitar, say after end 2016 do not have a dot birthmark anymore? I have seen an asat s classic with no dot at all and was wondering why. I was unable to find more information than the detailed in cited post.

Thank you!

Welcome!

Yes, the dot birthmarks on necks were eliminated with the new fixtures shown in the reference post.
They completed the change over by the end of September 2016. The body dot birthmarks were eliminated
when they switched from pin-routers to CNC machines in mid to late 2004; first with the bodies and then
in mid to late 2006 the necks were added.

Hope this helps.

Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:11 pm

And I get an answer from Craig himself.

Thank you! I guess you mean 2016 instead of 2006 for the necks, right?
I read a thread in another forum where someone said he had the idea from reading in some other site that G&L was still making the dots, although not necessarily anymore, just as paying tribute to the tradition, but I tend not to believe that.

Have a good night and thank you.

Edit: ah, you mean maybe mid to late 2006 for the elimination of the first dot (near G string tuner). And September 2016 the elimination of the second one.

Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:29 pm

Korkenknopfus wrote:And I get an answer from Craig himself.

Thank you! I guess you mean 2016 instead of 2006 for the necks, right?
I read a thread in another forum where someone said he had the idea from reading in some other site that G&L was still making the dots, although not necessarily anymore, just as paying tribute to the tradition, but I tend not to believe that.

Have a good night and thank you.

Edit: ah, you mean maybe mid to late 2006 for the elimination of the first dot (near G string tuner). And September 2016 the elimination of the second one.

Your edit has the correct dating sequence.

Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:47 pm

Alright, thank you very much. I really want to explore now the world of G&L guitars.