Veneer on Ascari map?

Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:15 pm

Hi,
Can anyone say for certain if there is - or isn't - a veneer layer on the Ascari maple cap?
I want to refinish and stain the face of my GT 90, but I want to know what I'm getting myself into before I start.
Thanks for your help!

Re: Veneer on Ascari map?

Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:29 pm

DGV wrote:Hi,
Can anyone say for certain if there is - or isn't - a veneer layer on the Ascari maple cap?
I want to refinish and stain the face of my GT 90, but I want to know what I'm getting myself into before I start.
Thanks for your help!

Yes, both Ascari GTS and Fiorano GTS do have a veneer Maple cap over the Mahogany body.
Reference post: https://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?p=87888#p87888

Hope this helps.

Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:09 pm

Oops, the Tribute Ascari GT-90 does not have a Maple cap only a Mahogany body.
Reference: https://web.archive.org/web/20140702112 ... p#tabSpecs

Hope this helps.

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:48 am

So, just for extra clarification, would you say you're absolutely sure it's mahogany with no veneer?
I don't know much about wood and finishes, but I'd like to be as prepared as possible before I start working on refinishing it.
Thanks!

Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:15 am

DGV wrote:So, just for extra clarification, would you say you're absolutely sure it's mahogany with no veneer?
I don't know much about wood and finishes, but I'd like to be as prepared as possible before I start working on refinishing it.
Thanks!

Did it look like this photo?

If so, it is all Mahogany body, which is the only way you could get the Tribute Series Ascari GT-90.

Here are the Specifications:

Specifications
CONSTRUCTION: set-neck
SCALE: 24 3/4"
PICKUPS: G&L AP4285CR in neck position, G&L AP42105CR in bridge position
BODY WOOD: Mahogany
NECK WOOD: Mahogany with Rosewood fingerboard
NECK RADIUS: 12"FRETS: 22 medium jumbo
NECK WIDTH AT NUT: 1 11/16"
NECK PROFILE: modern slim CNECK INLAY: classic dot
BRIDGE: Tone-Pros locking C-TPFP bridge and CT1 tailpiece
CONTROLS: 3 position pickup selector, volume, toneFINISH: Tobacco Sunburst, creme bound body and neck

Hope this helps.