Nube with baseplate question

Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:21 am

Greetings!

I recently became the delighted owner of an orange Tribute ASAT Classic, but it's the pickups I'm curious about. I like these "classic" MDF pickups so much that I've acquired 2 more sets, one for a custom built T that's my main guitar and another to have in my back pocket. I've noticed that some (most?) of the pickups have plain steel baseplates but one set I purchased has either a copper or copper plated steel baseplate. I even notice both variations pictured on the G&L website depending on which page you select to purchase pickups.

Does anything know when this switch was made? Why it was made? Or are they still making both versions? I have the plain steel versions in both guitars right now so I haven't been able to assess if there is any difference with the cooper plated pickups yet. I'll compare them eventually, but though for sure someone here must know about this.

Re: Nube with baseplate question

Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:36 am

poppymike wrote:Greetings!

I recently became the delighted owner of an orange Tribute ASAT Classic, but it's the pickups I'm curious about. I like these "classic" MDF pickups so much that I've acquired 2 more sets, one for a custom built T that's my main guitar and another to have in my back pocket. I've noticed that some (most?) of the pickups have plain steel baseplates but one set I purchased has either a copper or copper plated steel baseplate. I even notice both variations pictured on the G&L website depending on which page you select to purchase pickups.

Does anything know when this switch was made? Why it was made? Or are they still making both versions? I have the plain steel versions in both guitars right now so I haven't been able to assess if there is any difference with the cooper plated pickups yet. I'll compare them eventually, but though for sure someone here must know about this.

You might contact Memo Romero (G&L Service Manager) to find out about the questions you have. I know they have used different metals for the MFD Classic pickups over the years but don't know the details of when they made this change and why. Memo's email address is: repairs@glguitars.com.

Please let us know what you find out.

Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:50 am

Email sent! When I know, you'll know! And thanks!!

Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:34 pm

Thanks for the lead. i heard back from Romero and learned that G&L continually uses baseplates with copper or nickel plating based on what's available.

Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:52 am

poppymike wrote:Thanks for the lead. i heard back from Romero and learned that G&L continually uses baseplates with copper or nickel plating based on what's available.

Thanks for getting the scoop on this from Memo!