Comanche shielding question

Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:42 pm

Hi everyone,
How much value is there in shielding a comanche/tribute comanche? I love mine, and the noise performance is pretty good already, but I'm considering at the next string change treating it to some extra shielding, in the pickup and control cavity, shielded wiring from the pickups and along the signal chain, and maybe even shielding pickup coils (like this: https://www.premierguitar.com/diy/mod-g ... il-pickups).
Are we getting into the area of diminishing returns here? I might go with shielded wiring, but I'm not sure that there'd be a significant improvement with the other procedures. Has anyone done it with a comanche?
Cheers
Pat

Re: Comanche shielding question

Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:43 am

patricks wrote:Hi everyone,
How much value is there in shielding a comanche/tribute comanche? I love mine, and the noise performance is pretty good already, but I'm considering at the next string change treating it to some extra shielding, in the pickup and control cavity, shielded wiring from the pickups and along the signal chain, and maybe even shielding pickup coils (like this: https://www.premierguitar.com/diy/mod-g ... il-pickups).
Are we getting into the area of diminishing returns here? I might go with shielded wiring, but I'm not sure that there'd be a significant improvement with the other procedures. Has anyone done it with a comanche?
Cheers
Pat

You should find that the Tribute Comanche already has shielding paint in the pickup and control cavity with grounding wires connected to the other ground wires.
If you are having noise issues, check that all ground wires are properly attached.

Re: Comanche shielding question

Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:30 pm

Thanks Craig!
No noise issues, it's working just fine - I absolutely love it, and just thought I'd treat it to some special attention if it would make a good thing even better :)
Part of the reason for asking is that I've got a z-coil pickup I'm going to use in a thinline-style project, I'll use shielded wire anyway, but wondering whether the pickup is naturally hum and RF resistant enough already, or whether to go the extra mile with shielding tape or paint inside the body