G & l fullerton legacy pots feel when turning

Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:23 am

Hi
I am new to G&L and had a question regarding feel of the treble pot when turning. The volume and bass pots have a nice smooth and resistance feel to them when turning. The treble pot when turning feels different and cheap. Is this normal. Basically it feels like a cheap pot compared to the other two when turning.

Thank you
Jed

Re: G & l fullerton legacy pots feel when turning

Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:57 pm

The pots should feel about the same but wear and tear is probably more of a factor than anything else. I suppose one could just be a dud from the factory but I've not noticed that on anything I've owned so far. Even my Tributes feel pretty good. Some do feel cheaper on one guitar vs another but the pots on the same guitar are usually very similar in my experience.

Depending on what model you have there are some that have different pots because of the electrical resistance or the functionality (shouldn't be an issue with factory pots but I've noticed sometimes when I order parts that one brand 250k pot is available but the 1 Meg pot (or push-pull) is only available in a different brand, etc).

Also depending on the model some get used more than others. The bass pot on my S-500 rarely gets touched. Do you have a new instrument or used?

Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:04 pm

Its a brand new fullerton deluxe legacy I bought second hand with 5 hours play time built 11-2021 so like new. The pot must be a dud...

Thank you. Guess ill buy another and have it installed. It works definitely different.

Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:18 pm

Can you pull up on the treble control to access the expanded pickup combinations? If so it's common for the treble push/pull pot to be looser than the other pots.

Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:38 pm

No the deluxe fullerton has a switch to split the humbucker.

Funny you mention about the split pots. I have a schecter Nick Johnston and noticed exactly what you mentioned. That pot is looser and looser is exactly how to discribe the pot compared to the other two. I also have a fender player stat all pots are the same but all are the looser type but match.

Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:02 pm

528hemi wrote:Its a brand new fullerton deluxe legacy I bought second hand with 5 hours play time built 11-2021 so like new. The pot must be a dud...

Thank you. Guess ill buy another and have it installed. It works definitely different.

Since this is a second hand instrument, perhaps the pot was damaged in shipping or dropped by the previous owner. If you were the original owner,
you would have been able to get it fixed under warranty (assuming shipping damage or that it left the factory that way). You can purchase a replacement
pot for the G&L On-Line store or from one of the G&L dealers who stock G&L parts.

Hope this helps.

PS please do add this guitar to our G&L Registry and post a photo or two, as we would loved to see it.