swapping s500 from SSS to HSS HELP!!!

Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:09 pm

Hi all,

Super newb here, both to guitar playing and to G&Ls

I have been playing for about a year.. have my first G&L, a Tribute S-500.

I bought it to begin to learn the strat feel (my first one is a LesPaul). I love the feel of the body and the overall sounds, BUT I tend to prefer modern hard rock and light metal (think A7X and Disturbed). I am thinking that I probably should have bought a Legacy in HSS, but I got the S-500 used for a song and I'm impatient.

So, my question is, should I mess with changing the p/u configuration or buy another guitar? I'm not afraid of the work (I have changed the p/u's in my Les Paul already), but there doesn't seem to be much aftermarket support for G&Ls, when compared to Fender.

Are S500s routed for larger p/u's under the guard?
Can I mix/match Legacy/S-500 pickguards?
It looks like the screw holes match between modern Fender Strat and S-500 pickguards (I would have to route the space for the G&L trem), but otherwise do they match?
Should I just shut up and play the SSS and learn to manage my tones through other means?

all advice is welcome!

Thanks

Matt

Re: swapping s500 from SSS to HSS HELP!!!

Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:40 pm

Hello. If it was me, my first choice would be to not modify the S-500 but maybe use pedals to get whatever tone you can't get. For certain songs, maybe play the Les Paul. My second choice would be to put either a stacked humbucker in the bridge, or maybe a dual blade, such as the ones that come in Legacy Specials (https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/pickups/products/dual-blade-power-blade-humbucking-pickups). That way, you could more easily go back to the original if you changed your mind.
David

Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:33 pm

Welcome to the forum and the world of G&L! I'm not an expert on Tributes but your S-500 should have a swimming pool route under the pickguard. You should be able to hear the difference between the solid part of the body and the hollow area around the pickups by tapping the pickguard with your finger.

Also, did you engage the expander switch? I have a US made S-500 and the switch makes a huge difference. Mine can play metal and hard rock with ease when engaged. I believe it's a push/pull on the treble knob on the Tributes.

Swimming pool route looks like this...

Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:02 pm

dhgleaves wrote:Hello. If it was me, my first choice would be to not modify the S-500 but maybe use pedals to get whatever tone you can't get. For certain songs, maybe play the Les Paul. My second choice would be to put either a stacked humbucker in the bridge, or maybe a dual blade, such as the ones that come in Legacy Specials (https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/pickups/products/dual-blade-power-blade-humbucking-pickups). That way, you could more easily go back to the original if you changed your mind.
David

Hi David, interesting idea on the stacked humbucker.. I haven't heard them much, so it wasnt' on my mind... but you make a lot of sense, as far as easy swapping. I certainly agree with you as a rule (LP for heavier stuff), I am just looking for a 1-size-fits-most kind of thing.

I will take a look at these as potential options, thanks!

Matt

Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:06 pm

Arpeggio wrote:Welcome to the forum and the world of G&L! I'm not an expert on Tributes but your S-500 should have a swimming pool route under the pickguard. You should be able to hear the difference between the solid part of the body and the hollow area around the pickups by tapping the pickguard with your finger.

Also, did you engage the expander switch? I have a US made S-500 and the switch makes a huge difference. Mine can play metal and hard rock with ease when engaged. I believe it's a push/pull on the treble knob on the Tributes.

Swimming pool route looks like this...

Thanks for the welcome, I am looking forward to learning a ton!!!

Yes, I did just tap on mine and it sounds like I have the "full route" underneath, so that is a good start! :)

I have played a little with the push/pull, and also have been trying out the middle pickup for more distortion, and I don't hate it... On top of all of that, the G&L PTR system seems to give a lot more control than a regular setup would, which is making me lean towards being more patient and learning to play the instrument that I have.

The problem is I like to tinker! :mrgreen:

If I was to swap pickguards to put a SSH in, is there a better place to order from, or modify a Fender Strat guard??

Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:51 pm

Yes, I did just tap on mine and it sounds like I have the "full route" underneath, so that is a good start! :)

I have played a little with the push/pull, and also have been trying out the middle pickup for more distortion, and I don't hate it... On top of all of that, the G&L PTR system seems to give a lot more control than a regular setup would, which is making me lean towards being more patient and learning to play the instrument that I have.

If I was to swap pickguards to put a SSH in, is there a better place to order from, or modify a Fender Strat guard??

Then by all means, tinker away! :) If you're as much of a tweaker as you are a tinker, then I'm pretty confident you can get the S-500 to work for heavy rock/metal as I did. Those MFD pickups are higher output than the CLF100's on a Legacy, especially with the expander switch. As far as pickguards... no, I don't believe a Fender (or USA G&L) would work on a Tribute. G&L used to recommend Pickguard Heaven for replacements but I'm not sure if they still offer them. You nay need to send yours in and have one made. I have seen used ones for sale on ebay and Reverb. so maybe keep an eye on them.

Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:55 pm

Arpeggio wrote:

Then by all means, tinker away! :) If you're as much of a tweaker as you are a tinker, then I'm pretty confident you can get the S-500 to work for heavy rock/metal as I did. Those MFD pickups are higher output than the CLF100's on a Legacy, especially with the expander switch. As far as pickguards... no, I don't believe a Fender (or USA G&L) would work on a Tribute. G&L used to recommend Pickguard Heaven for replacements but I'm not sure if they still offer them. You nay need to send yours in and have one made. I have seen used ones for sale on ebay and Reverb. so maybe keep an eye on them.

Thanks! I have spent some more time playing with the tones, and I didn't realize what a difference those knobs could make.. I was showing my guitar teacher and he was a bit surprised also (he has no experience with G&L). LOL in fact, he was asking me if the higher-end G&Ls were wired the same way! :)

I think I will stick with the stock config for a while longer...

Thanks again!!