2018 ASAT Special (USA) bone nut questions

Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:09 am

Hi Folks

First post here, as I have never until now been the owner of a G&L, specifically a 2018 Fullerton Deluxe Asat Special used at a very good price.

The guitar is in great condition aside from the bone nut which has lost a chunk out of it, so I would like to replace this with a new one. I have done this process on quite a few fenders and copies already so I know a bit around what to watch out for.

Before proceeding, I would like to get the definitive answer on these questions

- Is the nut on a 2018 USA ASAT Special flat on the underside, or curved fender style?
- How is it glued in at the factory, is it done using a really strong glue as fender tend to use (I have had to knock their factory nuts out with serious force sometimes), or something more facilitating ease of removal?
- Is it possible to buy the exact replacement bone nut that G&L install on these, preslotted?

Much obliged

Re: 2018 ASAT Special (USA) bone nut questions

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:07 am

Hi,

I recently replaced the nut on my 2016 USA Legacy. The underside was flat and it was very difficult to remove the nut without breaking it. I don't know if G&L sells pre-slotted replacement nuts, but I found a Graph Tech TUSQ that fits well, with just a little bit of sanding.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Pablo

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:35 am

Thanks very much Pablo, that's useful first-hand information for sure. I have used Tusq quite a bit but would be using bone on any replacement now. Sounds like, similar to Fender, G&L are using a strong adhesive on these.

I guess I should also check if the slot the nut sits in is Fender depth, or if it's deeper (Like on a japanese Tokai for example)?

Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:13 pm

ashguitargeek wrote:Hi Folks

First post here, as I have never until now been the owner of a G&L, specifically a 2018 Fullerton Deluxe Asat Special used at a very good price.

The guitar is in great condition aside from the bone nut which has lost a chunk out of it, so I would like to replace this with a new one. I have done this process on quite a few fenders and copies already so I know a bit around what to watch out for.

Before proceeding, I would like to get the definitive answer on these questions

- Is the nut on a 2018 USA ASAT Special flat on the underside, or curved fender style?
- How is it glued in at the factory, is it done using a really strong glue as fender tend to use (I have had to knock their factory nuts out with serious force sometimes), or something more facilitating ease of removal?
- Is it possible to buy the exact replacement bone nut that G&L install on these, preslotted?

Much obliged

The nut is flat on the bottom on your 2018 G&L. See: Are G&L nuts curved or flat on the bottom?

I am not sure what type of glue the factory uses to set the nut.

AFAIK, they do not offer a replacement pre-slotted bone nut for non-warranty repairs. You might contact a G&L Premier Dealer to see if they can get one for you.
If you do this, let us know whether or not they can get one.

Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:59 am

Thanks Craig, I have mailed a few different premier dealers, no response yet, I should mention I am in the EU rather than the USA. It's not a problem sourcing a suitable aftermarket nut I am sure, I was just interested in the original part if possible.

Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:50 am

No luck with any of the dealers I tried contacting, I didn't get any response - here is the nut with the chunk missing between A and D

https://ibb.co/zHh1H9s

It's actually really well cut so it would be nice to be able to replace it with the same

Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:18 am

ashguitargeek wrote:No luck with any of the dealers I tried contacting, I didn't get any response - here is the nut with the chunk missing between A and D

https://ibb.co/zHh1H9s

It's actually really well cut so it would be nice to be able to replace it with the same

You might contact Memo (Service Manager) at the factory.
Here is the contact info: Tech_Support .

Let us know what he says.