L-1505 weird bell-ring effect

Tue May 18, 2021 3:32 pm

Hi all,

I have G&L L-1505 and I'm getting this subtle bell-like ringing noise from each vibration of guitar, regardless of the strings, as you can hear in this sample...

At start it is noticeable only when I hit the strings. Than it comes out below each note while thumb slapping. At the end I had muted the strings and did a few tapping on pot caps, pull/pushed the switches couple of times, then knocked on the body of the bass.

No squealing, no other kind of interference. Same exist in passive mode.

Could it be the problem with microphonic pickup or something else?

Re: L-1505 weird bell-ring effect

Sat May 22, 2021 8:43 am

It looks like you have stumped us on this one. :think: :problem:
You might try posting this over on the bassesbyleo.com Forum.
Let us know what you find out.

Mon May 24, 2021 10:12 am

huh... sorry, wrong office. will go down the hall... thanks for the hint. btw i might have a clue. there are 2 springs underneath the pickup. seems just perfect for that kind of built in effect. now i'm just looking for a neat solution to dampen 'em.

Mon May 24, 2021 10:40 am

Bozha wrote:huh... sorry, wrong office. will go down the hall... thanks for the hint. btw i might have a clue. there are 2 springs underneath the pickup. seems just perfect for that kind of built in effect. now i'm just looking for a neat solution to dampen 'em.

I did a quick search on pickup springs on our site here and found this post:
improved tone with new bridge?

You might try searching some more here to see if there are other suggestions, too.

If you head over to Ken Baker's bassesbyleo.com forum, tell him Hi for me!

Mon May 24, 2021 11:31 am

Yep... let me confirm. Springs that lifts the pickup are causing the ringing effect.

I have managed to dampen them enough by sticking pieces of soft sponge inside them. If there are such springs on guitars with mfd's, this might help for sure.

cheers!

Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:56 pm

Craig wrote:If you head over to Ken Baker's bassesbyleo.com forum, tell him Hi for me!

Howdy!

Bozha wrote:I have managed to dampen them enough by sticking pieces of soft sponge inside them. If there are such springs on guitars with mfd's, this might help for sure.

That is the fix for "Spring Ping". Or a thin piece of neoprene, cut to easily slip inside the coil.

In years past G&L used actual springs under pickups. These would, occasionally, cause the PING! you heard. It was very dependent on pickup height and tension on the springs. Now that they're using foam, no more Spring Ping.

Ken...