Wiring advice for bridge single coil sized humbucker

Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:20 am

Hi all,

I have a Legacy SSS and I recently installed a single coil sized humbucker (Duncan Red Devil) in the bridge. Being wired PTB, my challenge is that if I adjust the treble and bass controls for the humbucker, the single coils are too bright, and if I adjust to the single coils, the HB is too dark. Would love some wiring advice/options on how to approach this issue.

Was thinking about just taking the humbucker out of the PTB circuit and just have it connected to volume with no tone adjustment. Then just have the neck and middle on the PTB. Open to other/better ideas!

Thanks!

Re: Wiring advice for bridge single coil sized humbucker

Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:56 am

atrain wrote:Hi all,

I have a Legacy SSS and I recently installed a single coil sized humbucker (Duncan Red Devil) in the bridge. Being wired PTB, my challenge is that if I adjust the treble and bass controls for the humbucker, the single coils are too bright, and if I adjust to the single coils, the HB is too dark. Would love some wiring advice/options on how to approach this issue.

Was thinking about just taking the humbucker out of the PTB circuit and just have it connected to volume with no tone adjustment. Then just have the neck and middle on the PTB. Open to other/better ideas!

Thanks!

Check out how G&L wires their Legacy HSS (aka Legacy HB), see this Album in our Gallery:
Album: Legacy HB Diagrams.

Hope this helps.

Re: Wiring advice for bridge single coil sized humbucker

Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:20 pm

Thanks for the reply. I believe this is how I’m wired currently (but without the coil tap switch). My main issue is the brightness difference between the single coils and the humbucker. With everything on the PTB circuit, I can’t find a place where they are all happy.

I think my next move will be to try wiring the humbucker outside of the PTB circuit so the 2 single coils will keep the treb and bass controls and the humbucker will just be wired to the volume with no tone control.