tried to fix a scratchy pot and messed up my tone

Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:51 am

I've had a scratchy volume pot for awhile so I finally got around to pulling apart my Legacy Tribute and spraying the pots with some deoxit. I fixed the pot but now the tone of the pickups and tone pots has change a lot. The low pass filter doesn't go nearly as low as it used to. Switching the pickup selector to positions 2 and 4 doesn't result in the same phase canceling that it used to and positions 1 and 2 honestly sound almost the same. I'm not sure what I did or how to fix it. I have a multimeter, I can solder, but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. Any ideas?

Re: tried to fix a scratchy pot and messed up my tone

Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:32 pm

well somehow I think I fixed it. took it apart and cleaned it again, checked every connection, tried to reinforce a soldering joint on the resistor attached to the tone knob and that seems to have fixed it!

Still dealing with the ever preset interference, but at least my tone is how I like it!

Re: tried to fix a scratchy pot and messed up my tone

Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:43 pm

pofv wrote:well somehow I think I fixed it. took it apart and cleaned it again, checked every connection, tried to reinforce a soldering joint on the resistor attached to the tone knob and that seems to have fixed it!

Still dealing with the ever preset interference, but at least my tone is how I like it!

If you meant to say "ever present interference" then check the ground connections between the controls and the trem spring claw.

Hope this helps.