2003 ASAT Special '4-Way' Selector Switch

Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:39 am

I've recently acquired my first G&L guitar, albeit a Tribute.... a 2003 ASAT Special Tribute.

It has a four-way selector switch, which looks stock given everything I can see (Made in Japan pots, wiring, soldering etc). I realise that two of the switch positions are (1) Bridge, (2) Bridge & Neck, but positions 3&4 both seem to be Neck to my ear? I'd be grateful if someone could tell me what positions 3&4 are; series, out of phase, something else? I've tried the internet for info and unable to find anything.

Lastly, given the 'Made in Japan' on the pots, I'm assuming it's a Made in Japan model and not just had surplus Japanese parts shipped to somewhere else for assembly?

Thanks in advance

Re: 2003 ASAT Special '4-Way' Selector Switch

Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:37 am

Here is another post on a 4-way switch for an ASAT Special.

Cross reference your serial number with this info to see if it is a truly MIJ Tribute. Even USA made models have had "Made in Japan" pots during the mid-1990s. So what's on the pots is not indicative of where the instrument is made.

- Jos

Re: 2003 ASAT Special '4-Way' Selector Switch

Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:31 am

Shepster8316 wrote:I've recently acquired my first G&L guitar, albeit a Tribute.... a 2003 ASAT Special Tribute.

It has a four-way selector switch, which looks stock given everything I can see (Made in Japan pots, wiring, soldering etc). I realise that two of the switch positions are (1) Bridge, (2) Bridge & Neck, but positions 3&4 both seem to be Neck to my ear? I'd be grateful if someone could tell me what positions 3&4 are; series, out of phase, something else? I've tried the internet for info and unable to find anything.

Lastly, given the 'Made in Japan' on the pots, I'm assuming it's a Made in Japan model and not just had surplus Japanese parts shipped to somewhere else for assembly?

Thanks in advance

A stock 2003 Tribute ASAT Special will have a 3 position pickup selector. So, this guitar would have been modded (pu selector and pots, wiring etc).
As Jos mentioned, the serial number will indicate the origin and build Year and Month of this Tribute. If it is a 2003 Tribute the country of origin is Korea.

To see the stock wiring, see: Album: ASAT Special Deluxe/Tribute ASAT Special Deluxe Carved Top wiring schematic note the wiring is the same for the Tribute ASAT Special.

Please post photos [front, back and control wiring].

Hope this helps.