Adjusting Action - ASAT Classic

Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:37 am

Forgive me if this information is on here already, I've searched and couldn't come up with the answer.

I recently acquired a 2012 ASAT Classic and it's great, however the action is way too high for my liking. In the past I have gone to my luthier for this, but I really want to start doing some of the basics myself. I feel like it's time I understand my guitars better...

I don't believe there's a locking screw, correct me if I'm wrong. In order to adjust the action, I assume I just need to adjust the black screws that extend from the base of the bridge plate?

Re: Adjusting Action - ASAT Classic

Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:24 am

aussiekris wrote:Forgive me if this information is on here already, I've searched and couldn't come up with the answer.

I recently acquired a 2012 ASAT Classic and it's great, however the action is way too high for my liking. In the past I have gone to my luthier for this, but I really want to start doing some of the basics myself. I feel like it's time I understand my guitars better...

I don't believe there's a locking screw, correct me if I'm wrong. In order to adjust the action, I assume I just need to adjust the black screws that extend from the base of the bridge plate?

No, those screws adjust the intonation. The two screws in each bridge saddle, one on either side of the string, adjust the action height. They should both be adjusted by the same amount -- for example, if you back one out a half turn, you should back the one on the other side of the string out the same amount.

Before you start adjusting things, though, I would recommend searching around for information on guitar setup procedures and get a good overall idea of what needs to be done. As a friend of mine says, everything affects everything!

--Al Evans

Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:30 am

Here are a few posts to check out:

Set-Ups, answering some questions
How-To Guide
Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with hardtail bridges

Search for topics on this sub-forum: LINK: G&L Technical Questions & Tips (sorted by Subject).
Also, use the Forum Search feature.

Hope this helps.

Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:25 pm

Thanks Al and Craig. Will do a bit of reading tonight.

If I mess it up, I can always take it to the shop to fix my mistakes haha

Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:16 pm

aussiekris,

Beyond fiddling around with the 6 saddles, there is another option: adjust the neck angle. If you need to lower the action, you could put a shim of the desired thickness (and we are talking a little goes a long way) at the back of the neck pocket; or at the front if you need to raise the action. And then use the truss rod to set the proper relief.

- Jos