2007-2008 Comanche

Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:48 am

I recently acquired a 2007-08 Comanche with an ash body and a flame maple top in clear red. The fret board is maple with a gun oil tint. What is very clear is that the fret board is a maple cap. I don't remember seeing this on other maple neck G&L models I have played. I like it very much. I was wondering if this was an unusual feature or just something I hadn't noticed before. Thanks.

Re: 2007-2008 Comanche

Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:21 am

Falcon64 wrote:I recently acquired a 2007-08 Comanche with an ash body and a flame maple top in clear red. The fret board is maple with a gun oil tint. What is very clear is that the fret board is a maple cap. I don't remember seeing this on other maple neck G&L models I have played. I like it very much. I was wondering if this was an unusual feature or just something I hadn't noticed before. Thanks.

In 2006, G&L changed the neck process to have a non-compression truss rod where the neck fretboard layer for a maple fretboard
would be sliced and truss rod would be inserted on the neck and the maple fretboard layer would be glued back on.
See these posts:
The G&L non-compression truss rod
About non-compression truss rod and Plek

Hope this helps.

PS Don't forget to add your Comanche to our G&L Registry-TIA.