First Post: New Legacy Tribute with Deep Nut Slots

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:38 am

I bought a new Legacy Tribute on Tuesday and the open D and G strings buzz. I noticed that the nut slots were cut deep so the two strings were almost touching the first fret, hence the buzz. I took it to the guitar store where I purchased it and they adjusted the truss rod to try to correct it. The buzz was gone but the action was very high. I didn't accept it that way so the tech was going to do more work on it so I left it. I'm not sure what he is planning on doing to it. I said he should replace the nut but he said that voided the warranty. I'm sure he could do the baking soda and super glue repair but that would probably void the warranty also. I believe the guitar should be replaced. Thoughts?

This is also my first G&L guitar. I had planned on buying a MIM strat but couldn't find one I liked. Thanks

Re: First Post: New Legacy Tribute with Deep Nut Slots

Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:13 am

If you have a warrantee, sounds like the time to invoke it :) Not sure why those techs would think adjusting the truss rod would fix mis-cut nut slots. I would contact the retailer and/or G&L for any next steps.

Re: First Post: New Legacy Tribute with Deep Nut Slots

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:08 am

Thanks for the reply.

They tried to lower the action but it just wasn't enough so I returned it for a refund. They don't expect any in the near future so I'll have to look elsewhere.

I figured I'd rather not buy it and wish I had than buy it and wish I hadn't.