High e-string getting caught on fretwire

Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:09 am

Hola. Got a newb question for y'all--please direct me to the appropriate thread if it's already been answered:

On my recently purchased secondhand G&L Tribute ASAT Classic, the high e-string keeps getting caught on the very last fret, where I can feel the slight groove(?) between the fretwire and the wood.

Now, other than basic setup procedures, I don't have much experience, especially anything regarding fretwork. Will filing that problematic fretwire with a fret end dressing file solve the issue? And is there an alternative tool I can just buy at a hardware store at a more affordable price that would do the job?

Thank you in advance!

Re: High e-string getting caught on fretwire

Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:19 am

yomutha wrote:Hola. Got a newb question for y'all--please direct me to the appropriate thread if it's already been answered:

On my recently purchased secondhand G&L Tribute ASAT Classic, the high e-string keeps getting caught on the very last fret, where I can feel the slight groove(?) between the fretwire and the wood.

Now, other than basic setup procedures, I don't have much experience, especially anything regarding fretwork. Will filing that problematic fretwire with a fret end dressing file solve the issue? And is there an alternative tool I can just buy at a hardware store at a more affordable price that would do the job?

Thank you in advance!

Please post some photos showing the top and side view of the neck. Include a closeup of the side of the last fret where
the string is catching on. To post photos, see Tutorial: Posting photos.

Also, see this post: String alignment issues and a simple cure,
to make sure your neck is set properly in the neck pocket.

Re: High e-string getting caught on fretwire

Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:31 am

Gotcha. Will do as soon as I get home. Thanks.