How to tell if an ASAT is semi-hollow ?

Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:13 am

(assuming no F-hole, of course)

Story time... I recently picked up a rather pimped out a used ASAT Z3... it's got a flame maple top, guntint birdseye maple neck/fretboard, first class all the way. Oddly enough I was holding out for a semi-hollow but couldn't find one, so ended up buying what I thought was a solidbody.

So after a few days I notice that the Z3 is noticably lighter than my other ASAT's. Tapping around on the top / back of it, it sounds as if the body is chambered, but since there's no F-hole, I'm not aware of any way to tell for sure (aside from running it through an x-ray machine). Is there some way to tell for sure? (like if I pop the pickguard, should I be able to see into the chamber? or is there a way to tell based on body dimensions? - this is the best way to determine if a PRS Custom model is semi-hollow, for example)

Thanks!
--B

Re: How to tell if an ASAT is semi-hollow ?

Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:51 am

bduersch wrote:(assuming no F-hole, of course)

Story time... I recently picked up a rather pimped out a used ASAT Z3... it's got a flame maple top, guntint birdseye maple neck/fretboard, first class all the way. Oddly enough I was holding out for a semi-hollow but couldn't find one, so ended up buying what I thought was a solidbody.

So after a few days I notice that the Z3 is noticably lighter than my other ASAT's. Tapping around on the top / back of it, it sounds as if the body is chambered, but since there's no F-hole, I'm not aware of any way to tell for sure (aside from running it through an x-ray machine). Is there some way to tell for sure? (like if I pop the pickguard, should I be able to see into the chamber? or is there a way to tell based on body dimensions? - this is the best way to determine if a PRS Custom model is semi-hollow, for example)

Thanks!
--B

You should be able to view the chamber by removing the control plate.

Here's a few pictures of ASAT semi-hollow bodies during production:

Hope this helps.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:41 am

Hello,

Being an ASAT Classic SH owner, I found out that it is quite easy to determine if your ASAT is a semi even without the f-hole.
Although mine has an f-hole, there are other characteristics as well.
First of all, it is lighter than a solid body. Hold your ASAT for several minutes to get used to the weight and then grab a solid body. If yours is a semi you'll notice the difference in weight.
Secondy the sound of a semi is much fuller than a solid body. I believe the chambers give a wider range of frequency to the sound (please correct me if i'm wrong, I'm no expert, I'm relying mostly on my experience with the instrument, and every other instrument that i played). I noticed that after a while playing my Asat because every time i heard any solid tele style play I found that it sounded a little different than mine, maybe a little "treblier".
Thirdly you can tap the wood, as you already mentioned, although I've also tapped the wood on my guitars a bunch of times but I'm not so good at telling the difference that way.
Finally, and most importantly, I believe if you pop open the control plate, either it's front or rear mounted, the mystery will be revieled. I always wondered if my ASAT was chambered on either sides of the body or just the upper one where the f-hole is. One day I popped open the control plate to see if the volume pot has a capacitor to retain the highs when rolled off and voila! The lower side of the body was chambered as well, plus a capacitor was connected to the volume pot!

So I believe if you open the control plate it will be quite obvious whether your asat is a semi or a solid. Either way enjoy it and keep on rockin'!

Delus

Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:49 am

Oh and one more thing!
I've noticed that my ASAT (semi) is fatter than my Strat (solid). Maybe that's because the semi has also a top on the body, as I saw in the previous pics. I don't know if other solid asats have the same dimensions. If i had to guess i'd say that the top on the semis make them thicker than the solids.
Don't matter, just rock on! :elguitar054:

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:25 am

Thanks for the tips... took all of 15 seconds to unscrew the control plate and verify that my Z-3 is in fact semi-hollow. Again, this is a total bonus since I originally wanted a semi-hollow and had a hard time finding one I liked and had mentally "settled" for the solidbody version. Yea!

--B