Question about potentiometers in a legacy

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:36 pm

Hi everyone, first post here. I just got a usa legacy left handed guitar today and the tone pots don't taper smooth its either all treble or all bass. wiring seems to be factory original so I guess im asking on left handed guitar did g&l use log pots instead of linear or could it be a bad capacitor or something of that nature?

Thanks
CHris

Re: Question about potentiometers in a legacy

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:26 pm

cmb2020 wrote:Hi everyone, first post here. I just got a usa legacy left handed guitar today and the tone pots don't taper smooth its either all treble or all bass. wiring seems to be factory original so I guess im asking on left handed guitar did g&l use log pots instead of linear or could it be a bad capacitor or something of that nature?

Thanks
CHris

See this post: Does G&L use Left Handed pots in the Legacy and ASAT guitars

Hope this helps.

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:32 pm

I finally looked in the guitar theyre all audio taper (logarithmic) as they should be and it looks to be factory …. first tone is 1 meg A, 2nd tone is 500k A and the volume is 250k A. could they be wired backwards causing the taper not to be smooth?

Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:56 pm

cmb2020 wrote:I finally looked in the guitar theyre all audio taper (logarithmic) as they should be and it looks to be factory …. first tone is 1 meg A, 2nd tone is 500k A and the volume is 250k A. could they be wired backwards causing the taper not to be smooth?

You need to turn them counter-clockwise because they are wired with righthand pots, as mentioned in the post I referenced.
Check to see how they are wired using this picture diagram in our Gallery: USA Legacy Wiring Picture Diagram.

If you will post photos of the underside of pickguard showing the wiring, maybe one of our Lefty members with a Lefty Legacy will be able to compare yours with theirs.

Hope this helps.