Changing the hardware

Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:07 am

would like to change the Pots and input jack on my G&L ASAT CLassic LE Tribute 2018. Read about the Alpha brand of pots being a right a fit, Would actually like to try out the Emerson 4-way pre wired kit on it, just want to know whether the pots on my guitar are metric sized or standard. The Emerson pots hold only standard size knobs. what do you say - pick up the parts separate and put them together or pay extra and get a prewired kits .. do prewiring by an expert make such a big difference?

Thanks
Ganesh

Re: Changing the hardware

Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:28 am

ganeshkrish0212 wrote:would like to change the Pots and input jack on my G&L ASAT CLassic LE Tribute 2018. Read about the Alpha brand of pots being a right a fit, Would actually like to try out the Emerson 4-way pre wired kit on it, just want to know whether the pots on my guitar are metric sized or standard. The Emerson pots hold only standard size knobs. what do you say - pick up the parts separate and put them together or pay extra and get a prewired kits .. do prewiring by an expert make such a big difference?

Thanks
Ganesh

The G&L Tribute Series instruments use metric sized pots.

Hope this helps.

Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:28 pm

I have a MF Tribute ASAT. Right out of the box the pickup selector switch was bad - the bridge pickup would go on/off. I called MF, and they directed me to call the support number at G&L. One phone call G&L and a replacement switch was on the way - great service! I replaced the switch, and all was well for about three months before the replacement went bad too. It had a different problem, but was completely unacceptable. That was enough of the junk tribute switches. I decided on RS Guitarworks parts/kit and could not be happier - worth every penny and the effort to install. Sounds great! Wow!!

I went with the 4-way switch and every piece in the kit is fantastic. Like you, I was not sure how everything would fit on the tribute control plate. Turns out the new pots fit without any mod, but you will need new knobs and switch tip. Also the neck pickup needs the separate cover ground mod as that third wire from the neck pickup hole is terminated to the body. Never found that on any wiring diagram...

Cheers

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:33 am

Most of the time I diagnose bad switch issues as problems with dirt or debris, in which case a spray of contact cleaner and 'massaging' the switch usually clears it up - seems to affect the sealed PCB import switches as much as the open/vintage type. Any of them just seem extraordinarily sensitive to corrosion, especially where it's humid.

As far as pre-wired vs. DIY I'd say that depends on whether you already have a powerful enough iron and possibly some flux to make soldering to backs of pots not a chore - but the pre-wired harnesses can get pretty pricey, and might not offer the specific wiring options you want.