Fixing a slightly warped pick guard on Fullerton Legacy

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:44 am

I bought a Fullerton Legacy guitar last week. Absolutely love it.

When looking down at the guitar the pick guard is slightly warped and lifted from the guitar.
It's not a big issue and is mainly optical but annoying enough that I want to fix it.

I did a search on here but couldn't find anything. I found a few youtube videos with great advice.
They suggest to remove the entire guard, bake it in the oven and then flatten it out with a weight.

Could I just use a hairdryer to heat it and then place a weight on the guard or would I damage the guitar itself or the coating?

Re: Fixing a slightly warped pick guard on Fullerton Legacy

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:51 am

Jorg wrote:I bought a Fullerton Legacy guitar last week. Absolutely love it.

When looking down at the guitar the pick guard is slightly warped and lifted from the guitar.
It's not a big issue and is mainly optical but annoying enough that I want to fix it.

I did a search on here but couldn't find anything. I found a few youtube videos with great advice.
They suggest to remove the entire guard, bake it in the oven and then flatten it out with a weight.

Could I just use a hairdryer to heat it and then place a weight on the guard or would I damage the guitar itself or the coating?

Did you buy this guitar new (from a G&L dealer)? If so, you have a 10 year Warranty which will cover the warped pickguard.
Contact the dealer and ask if they can send you a replacement pickguard (expect to return the wrapped one to them).

If you bought it used, then go ahead and try the hairdryer (just don't use too high a heat setting). Let us know how it works out.

Hope this helps.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:00 am

If you heat it, I would do it off the guitar, and weight the pickguard flat immediately after. If nothing else, removing it first could avoid possibly melting the wax potting in the pickups.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:15 am

Craig wrote:
Did you buy this guitar new (from a G&L dealer)? If so, you have a 10 year Warranty which will cover the warped pickguard.
Contact the dealer and ask if they can send you a replacement pickguard (expect to return the wrapped one to them).

If you bought it used, then go ahead and try the hairdryer (just don't use too high a heat setting). Let us know how it works out.

Hope this helps.

I bought it new from Revrb.com from store in Germany.
I live in the UK so shipping the whole guitar back and forth would be a nightmare.

This is the store I bought it from:
https://www.musik-center.de/

The guitar came with a certificate which says its a custom spec guitar and was built in 2013.

I'm assuming my warranty starts on my purchase date though, right?

Are you saying I should contact the dealer and ask for a new pick guard?

Thanks!

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:41 am

Jorg wrote:
Craig wrote:

Hope this helps.

I bought it new from Revrb.com from store in Germany.
I live in the UK so shipping the whole guitar back and forth would be a nightmare.

This is the store I bought it from:
https://www.musik-center.de/

The guitar came with a certificate which says its a custom spec guitar and was built in 2013.

I'm assuming my warranty starts on my purchase date though, right?

Are you saying I should contact the dealer and ask for a new pick guard?

Thanks!

Yes, the purchase date would be the starting date of the Warranty.
Yes, contact the dealer and send them your photo (even more might help too). Ask if they will send you a replacement guard
and a return pre-paid mailer (if they require the original guard to be sent back).

HTH

Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:46 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I’ve emailed the seller and asked for a replacement part.
Hopefully they can send the new part before I have to send the old. Otherwise I’ll be without that guitar for a while.