Query on Change in Fallout P90 spec

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:14 pm

Just curious, as I listen to my current model, and I see in the pickups chart that the current Fallout P90 gets 85K winds, used to be 9K.

Was that changed when the coil split was introduced, to balance with the split tone? That split coil, with or without the neck blended, is fantastic. Just wondering if that might've been the point on backing off the neck a few years back.

Cheers,
Mike
Last edited by McShepherd on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Query on Change in Fallout P90 spec

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:32 pm

McShepherd wrote:Just curious, as I listen to my current model, and I see in the pickups chart that the current Fallout P90 gets 85K winds, used to be 9K.

Was that changed when the coil split was introduced, to balance with the split tone? That split coil, with or without the neck blended, is fantastic. Just wondering if that might've been the point or backing off the neck a few years back.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike,

The oldest capture for the Fallout on the Wayback Machine is from February 24, 2013. The Specifications tab for this model already mentions a push-pull pot for a coil split. Hence, the change to the AP4285 P-90 neck pickup in July 2015 and the introduction of a coil-split have noting to do with each other. However, it is certainly true the AP4285B may be better balanced with the G&L AW4470 bridge humbucker which was also introduced in July 2015. The SD JB (TB-4) used prior might have been better balanced with the AP4290.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:06 am

Thanks for the help!

Part of my wondering was seeing old posts that touched on the Tribute being out with a split HB, with US players missing that feature.

And then the US pickup specs eventually appeared to reconcile with the Tribute's (which I'd call unsurprising, given the number of rave demos on youtube in the last few years on just the Tribute's sound).

Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:35 am

There were a few Fallouts built without the split feature. As I recall G&L offered kits to update the early Fallouts to add coil split. So it wasn't from day one but shortly after coil split was standard on all Fallouts. I would assume the change was made more so for the change from SD to G&L's own alnico humbucker.

Cheers,
Dan