Expander switch mod

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:43 am

Hi. I'm probably gonna acquire a 1990s Legacy Special. I have a 1994 Legacy now, have owned it since 1998. Way back then, I did the expander switch mod on it, and use it all the time. I'd want to do that on this incoming Legacy Special. I sorta remember it being easy: drill pickguard, mount mini toggle, cut 2 short pieces of wire, solder them to the mini toggle....but cant remember where they go from there. Does anyone have a diagram(sketch, pic, something a non electrician can read)? I looked for it here, could only find the electronic diagram. Thx

Re: Expander switch mod

Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:10 am

bigben wrote:Hi. I'm probably gonna acquire a 1990s Legacy Special. I have a 1994 Legacy now, have owned it since 1998. Way back then, I did the expander switch mod on it, and use it all the time. I'd want to do that on this incoming Legacy Special. I sorta remember it being easy: drill pickguard, mount mini toggle, cut 2 short pieces of wire, solder them to the mini toggle....but cant remember where they go from there. Does anyone have a diagram(sketch, pic, something a non electrician can read)? I looked for it here, could only find the electronic diagram. Thx

Here are 2 links to standard schematics:
Archived link to schematic once available on the G&L website
Archived link to drawing once available on the old Guitars by Leo site

Craig has a better answer below.

Hope this helps,

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:13 am

bigben wrote:Hi. I'm probably gonna acquire a 1990s Legacy Special. I have a 1994 Legacy now, have owned it since 1998. Way back then, I did the expander switch mod on it, and use it all the time. I'd want to do that on this incoming Legacy Special. I sorta remember it being easy: drill pickguard, mount mini toggle, cut 2 short pieces of wire, solder them to the mini toggle....but cant remember where they go from there. Does anyone have a diagram(sketch, pic, something a non electrician can read)? I looked for it here, could only find the electronic diagram. Thx

See this which is in our Gallery Album Instrument Manuals and Wiring Schematics: Album: 1992-present Legacy PTB Controls
and look at the 1992-present Legacy PTB Controls with Expander Switch diagram.

Hope this helps.

Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:19 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:

Here are 2 links to schematics:
Archived link to schematic once available on the G&L website
Archived link to drawing once available on the old Guitars by Leo site

Hope this helps,

- Jos

P.S. Here a link to a collection of links of Schematics, many now only accessible through archive.org.

They are still available in our GbL Gallery. Here's the link: Album: Legacy Special Diagrams.

HTH

Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:00 am

Thx. So, from the new mini toggle, the wires go to the bridge and neck pickup wires on the 5 way?

Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:02 pm

bigben wrote:Thx. So, from the new mini toggle, the wires go to the bridge and neck pickup wires on the 5 way?

Yes, here is an S-500 view from under the controls from our Gallery:

HTH